Friends? Friends // Marco Reus

Her heart had slowly been deteriorating in her chest, having the love of her life so close to her yet so far out of reach. It was like she was drowning just beneath the surface. Like grasping for something that was right in front of you yet managing to repeatedly fail in an attempt to get your hands on it, your fingertips just barely grazing that something. She could easily break to the surface to catch that breath of air that she was so desperate for but something kept dragging her back down, leaving her lungs to burn agonizingly for a single breath of him. She watched in a heartwrenching silence while everything she wanted and deserved got handed off to people, people undeserving of it.

"Can we pretend that this is a drunken mistake too then?" He turns slightly, just about to ask me what in the hell I'm going on about now but I almost immediately cut him off by gently wrapping my hand around the back of his neck. And for a second I just stare him dead in the eye. The eye contact seems to become too intense for him so he quickly locks his gaze on something else, my parted lips. By the way his eyes are focused solely on my lips, he's probably well aware of my intention and for once I feel like the infatuation isn't a one-sided affair anymore because he takes me by surprise when he suddenly takes it upon himself to eliminate the small space between us.

For a moment his lips just linger against my own then he pulls away slowly, analysing my expression to make sure that I don't mind him intensifying the action. I give him a short lived look of mischief and he takes that as his cue to crash his lips against mine, this time with more passion as he gently takes my plump bottom lip between his teeth, tugging playfully.

"Jesus Rani." He releases a light pant against my mouth, it's the most satisfying sound to have ever graced my ears, "I love you."

When the realisation of his words hits us both we slowly tear away from one another. We watch each other carefully, my dark brows drawn together in a frown while his expression looks flushed, and simutaneously, shocked. Those three words have managed to sober me up in the matter of thirty seconds and I'm not sure I know how to feel about this revelation. Something is screaming at me not to believe him when he says that but the more vulnerable part of me is crying out of pure joy at having finally heard him say what I've been waiting to hear for so many years now.

"Marco yo-" I stumble on my words momentarily unable to form a coherent sentence, "Please don't say things you don't mean."

"No I mean it Rani," He stresses, caressing both my hands in an attempt to get me to relax and I'm ashamed to say it took that little to actually have my rapid heartbeat slow down slightly, "That's only if you want me to mean it of course. The first time I met you it was just infatuation but I've learned that that innocent infatuation had matured to a great love, believe it or not. And I didn't want to admit my feelings to you, afraid that you might not feel the same way I do. I didn't wanna ruin the already amazing thing we have going, I couldn't lose you, living without you seems near impossible at this point."

Still very much incapable of giving him a good enough reply I wrap him up in my arms so tight that I think I might just choke him out with the grip I have on his neck.

"I love you Rani. So much." He whispers into my hair while playing with the ends in a comforting manner.

I find myself sniffling then tearing up before breaking out in a full out crying session and it's safe to say they're tears of joy. But also the overwhelming emotion pouring out in the form of salty, hot tears.
I waited so long for my best friend to admit to me he wanted to be more than just my friend, I wanted to be more than a shoulder to lean on when he was going through a break up because some other girl had broken his heart. It's such a relief to know that I haven't been alone this whole time.