Chapter 7 - Latter September

The Quibbler, Special Addition to September Edition, Monday, September 16, 1996

Current Count of Suitors: 1,612

Favorite Music: I don't know, really. I've never really had a chance to listen to music on my own, I've just overheard stuff other people were listening to. The Weird Sisters at the Yule ball a couple years ago were all right. I saw an opera on the telly once and didn't much care for it. At least, not when they were singing. Just the music was nice.

Favorite Animal: You'd probably think snakes, wouldn't you? But no, I actually like cats. Nice, soft, purring fuzzballs. I'd like to have a miniature kneazle one day.

The majestic bird once again showed up on Monday morning after all the owls had gone, this time carrying a package instead of a letter. As the bird glided down, Harry stood and held out his arm, whispering the activation words for the ring he wore to summon the black protective glove. The bird took the offered perch and Harry's arm nearly collapsed under the weight.

"Goodness," Harry grunted out. "You sure are a heavy one, aren't you, girl?"

The bird screeched in irritation and Harry hurried to say, "I'm sure you're a very lovely specimen or your species and not overweight in any way. And I know I shouldn't have been surprised; the letter did say you weighed twenty pounds. It's just that I didn't really comprehend just how much that was, that's all."

The bird chattered at him in what Harry presumed to be forgiveness and shifted its weight to one claw so that it could hold out the other imperiously. Harry ignored his housemates' laughter at his hurried apology to the large bird and untied the package. He set it down beside his plate and picked up a piece of bacon from the serving platter.

"Thank you, Nichol," Harry said as the bird accepted the offering. "Will you stay for a moment so I can give you a return letter?" The bird bobbed her head and stuck out her leg again once she was finished ripping apart and eating the bacon slice. Harry tied on a letter that basically said "ok on the hidden identity thing for now, thanks for the cool ring, you still have to show up here" then used his right hand to help support his left arm as the bird launched itself into the air.

"Nichol? That monster is named Nichol?" Dean exclaimed in disbelief.

"What's wrong with Nichol?" Harry asked absently as he examined the glove. He was pleased to find not a single scratch upon it.

"Uh, well, nothing, I suppose," Dean admitted, shaking his head. "I would have named it something bigger, though, like, say, Godzilla."

Harry gave Dean an incredulous look as he banished the glove and retook his seat. "She's named after the last czar of Russia since her species comes from eastern Russia. And I hardly think Godzilla is a good name for an eagle."

"What is her species, Harry?" Hermione asked curiously. "I've never even seen a picture of a bird like that."

"She's a Steller Sea Eagle, hatched in Russia but raised in Britain, weighs twenty pounds, and eats one to two pounds of fish a day. Other than her name, that's all I know." Harry hoped to stave off a lengthy question and answer session by giving up all his knowledge right up front. He picked up his package and examined it.

"Where did you read that?" Hermione asked eagerly. "Does the library have books on raptors? I've never seen one, but then I've never looked for that topic, either."

"I read it in the last letter. I have no idea if our library has books on eagles, though I know they have books on owls," Harry said with a quick look to his friend before untying the string on his package.

"Oh," Hermione said thoughtfully before returning to her breakfast. Everyone within hearing distance knew that she would have inventoried any and all books on raptors by the end of the day.