Chapter 21 - Goyle

--May 3--

The good natured squabbling between Dean and Seamus ended abruptly upon the screech that issued from the direction of Harry's bed. The subsequent groans galvanized the two boys into action and they quickly grabbed their clothes and left for the showers without another word. Neither boy felt any remorse whatsoever in leaving Neville behind to deal with...whatever is was that was bothering Harry this morning.

Neville watched his dorm-mates leave with alacrity and could only thank Merlin that Ron had already left. At least he didn't have to deal with the redhead in addition to Harry's entry into stage two of Désespoir. He quickly cast a few cleansing charms on himself in lieu of a shower and donned his clothes for the day. He dug out a dozen Honey Humps from his trunk then sat on his bed to wait for a bit. He'd give Harry ten minutes before approaching...

"I'd like my candy now," Harry said seven and a half minutes later.

Neville snorted but obediently brought the candies over to where Harry still lay in his bed. "Are you going to sit up?"

"No," Harry said, gritting his teeth and holding out a hand demandingly. "I feel like the bloody Hogwarts Express ran me over. Just give me some sugar."

Neville unwrapped one of the candies and placed it in Harry's hand. He watched as Harry made quick work of the honey treat and gave him another and another and another. When he was handing the fifth candy to Harry he asked, "Mind if I sit?"

Harry nodded and waved a hand vaguely so Neville took a seat on Harry's bed. It was after Harry had finished his eighth candy that he finally sat up with a heavy sigh. "Damn, but I feel like crap."

"At least it's not a Sunday this time," Neville said with a small smile.

A disgusted snort was the only reply Harry deigned to give.

Neville fed Harry another two candies before he asked, "Are you going to be able to go out today?"

"I have to," Harry said around his candy. "I can't afford to lose any time."

"You have those extra three weeks," Neville reminded his friend.

"Which I'm grateful for because I'm going to need them to make round four easier," Harry said in agitation. "I really need to go out today."

"You want to have breakfast in the kitchens?" Neville offered as he passed over another candy.

"Can't," Harry said as he unwrapped the treat. "Mail."

"I could collect it for you. Or Hermione could," Neville said. "You don't get much anymore and Nichol isn't due today."

Harry grunted noncommittally as he sucked on his candy. That was a tempting offer, actually. Merlin knew the littlest thing would probably set him off today. Going to the kitchens for breakfast was probably the best solution. He nodded as he put out a hand for the last candy Neville was holding.

Neville dropped the candy in Harry's hand and stood up. "I'm just going to go let Hermione know, all right. I'll be back in a few minutes then we'll go have a nice, quiet, uh..." he trailed off thinking about how the house elves weren't actually quiet.

Harry snorted a small laugh but waved his friend off.

Neville left the dorm and Harry flopped back onto his bed with a groan. Why couldn't this have happened yesterday? Yesterday he wasn't scheduled for an afternoon meeting with a Death Eater, and a Death Eater thug at that. Then he perked up slightly. Perhaps his increased sensitivity due to the degeneration of his magic would cause the man to be summarily eliminated. Of course, with his luck, his magic's desperation would be more likely to make him want to mate with the man immediately upon meeting him. He sighed in resignation and stood to get ready for the day.