Chapter 29 - 1st Term & Mating

-September-

Harry and Fawkes were engaged in a friendly staring contest. At least, that was Harry's impression. As he continued staring at the brightly colored bird, Harry also got the impression that Fawkes knew both Harry's plans and what was to be the future of Britain and, while sad, accepted the necessity. As he should, Harry realized suddenly. Did not a phoenix burn to ashes before becoming renewed? Was not Britain bound to burn before becoming something new?

"I specifically told you that you were to stay within Hogwarts when you were not courting, Harry," Albus said sternly.

Harry ignored the man, as he had during the prior five minutes of scolding. Sooner or later, the man might actually say something important.

"Where did you stay this summer, Harry?" Albus demanded.

Harry finally turned his gaze to the headmaster and raised his eyebrows in disbelief. Did the man really think he was going to answer that?

"I am your legal guardian and I require an answer," Albus said firmly.

"I'm seventeen," Harry murmured. He was fully aware, however, that Dumbledore had had the guardianship extended due to "extenuating circumstances." The documents had been quite specific. Of course, his grandfather could have the documents voided in less than a day...

"My guardianship extends until you are twenty-one," Albus said, gazing fixedly at the recalcitrant boy across from him. "I told you this when I gave you the legal papers."

"Convenient laws, weren't they?" Harry mused softly. "Too bad they're completely immaterial."

Albus blinked in surprise at Harry's response then narrowed his eyes. "What do you mean by that?"

Harry just smiled slightly and kept his silence.

"I have had The Veela Accords reviewed carefully," Albus said, his eyes still narrowed. "There is nothing within them that precludes me from having custody of you as long as I allow you to court and mate."

Harry's expression didn't change.

"You will obey me, Harry," Albus said, his tone unyielding. Harry would take up his duties under Albus' guidance.

"I will do as I will," Harry denied, still smiling. "I am an adult. I do not even have to stay here at Hogwarts if I do not want."

Albus rose and pulled his wand. He didn't allow it to show, but he was taken aback when Harry simply remained seated and smiling.

"And what will you do?" Harry asked in amusement. "Cast imperious on me?"

Albus stiffened in offense. "I would never cast such a dark spell," he said harshly. How dare the boy accuse him of such vile magic!

"Then what? Compulsions? Anyone who can fight off an imperious can fight off compulsion spells," Harry said as he watched the headmaster in unconcerned amusement. He already had an idea of what the headmaster was planning and was looking forward to it failing spectacularly.

Albus gave Harry a sad look. "Do you really think so little of me that I would stoop to such things?"

Harry chuckled slightly. "Well, you are the one holding a wand on me," he said sensibly. "I don't even have my wand out, not to mention my training is about a century less than yours. You are definitely the aggressor here. What could I possibly do against you?" In actuality, he was counting heavily on Dumbledore not casting any truly nefarious spells.

Albus simply continued to gaze at Harry sadly – a look, he noted, that Harry completely ignored – and said, "This will not harm you."

"I don't expect it will," Harry said mildly and continued to sit calmly as he listened and watched as Dumbledore began waving his wand and casting his spell. Harry's smile widened as he recognized the words. His grandfather had been right in his supposition; Dumbledore was casting a tether.