Chapter 11 - Starting Round Two

Chapter 11 – Starting Round Two

The reaction to his second interview was decidedly mixed. Some thought he had been unnecessarily and unfairly harsh. Others thought his test had been harsh, but it had been both fair and necessary. Still others thought the whole thing hysterical.

Neville had been among the latter and had nearly choked on his food when he had read the fourth question because he had started laughing so hard. Harry was surprised, but pleased, at the reaction. He would really have to ask Neville where and why he had learned about Veela enough to understand the question before it was explained.

Several of the Gryffindors, and not a few from other houses, had looked at Neville as if he was crazy, not understanding his mirth until they had read a bit farther in the article. And even then most people were embarrassed and flustered instead of amused. Hermione especially had turned a lovely red.

Deciding to stir the pot – because he really did need these harmless amusements – Harry had told everyone not to worry, he and his mate would engage in normal anal intercourse after the mating. The various hues of red had deepened a couple shades and poor Neville had nearly fallen off the bench he had laughed so hard.

That week he had hoped to be able to attend a few classes like he had the previous Thursday and Friday. He and his chaperone had worked hard on Saturday and Sunday to go through all the response parchments and send out appropriate postcards of acceptance or dismissal. And, of course, to get an accurate count. That still left Harry with the assigning of meeting times to the remaining suitors, which he had done Monday after the interview with Mr. Lovegood.

But...he hadn't counted on the mail.

There were more than a few letters, though not as many as he had feared, from dismissed suitors complaining about Harry's tests, all of which he had dutifully filed but basically ignored. Then there was the mail from the suitors he had accepted – Harry wouldn't be surprised if every single one of them had sent him a letter and present. He couldn't say for sure since he still had bundles he hadn't even touched. And, lastly, there was the mail from people who weren't courting him but still felt they had a right to comment, either positively or negatively, on how he conducted his life. These he had also basically ignored.

So, he was reading and answering mail...again.

The last week of October looked as if it would be basically the same, with Harry working diligently on his mail deficit. The weekly present from "D" was a much appreciated bright spot, however.

Draco's gift this last Monday of October was quite different than the weeks previously and Harry was pretty sure that the pool money was going to have to be set aside to carry over to the next week. The accompanying letter stated that "D" would like to continue to remain anonymous, if at all possible, but that he did understand that Harry would be evaluating the magical compatibility of suitors and hoped that Harry would accept the enclosed present in lieu of a face-to-face meeting.

Harry lifted the bracelet with its glowing charm from its packaging and cradled it in hand, feeling the magic coursing through the small charm.

Ron barked out a mean laugh and scoffed nastily, "A baby bracelet? What a stupid present."

Hermione looked puzzled and asked, "What's a baby bracelet?"

Ron sneered but went back to his breakfast without another word.

Harry absently thought that he was going to have to send a thank you note to Molly Weasley for hauling her son back in line – mostly. He could probably get half the House to sign it, too, the way Ron had been annoying everyone with his belligerent attitude. He expected Ron was going to explode, though, when he found out his brothers were some of Harry's suitors, mother's threats or not.