Chapter 28 - Harry's Summer II

-August 16-

"So that's what happened," Harry said with a slightly hysterical laugh. "I thought I'd been so careful and come to find out I messed it all up months ago! All that planning! All those meetings! Those dates! For nothing! The second I touched that bracelet it was all over!"

"Harry!" Hermione called sharply. "Stop that this instant! There is no way you could've known what would happen."

"I should've known," Harry protested. "I..."

"How?" Hermione demanded.

"I just..." Harry started.

"Just what?" Hermione challenged. "The only evidence available about baby charms says that children become less dependent, not more. There was no reason to suspect that you would be any different."

"I'm always different," Harry said bitterly.

"Yes, Harry," Hermione said, rolling her eyes. "You have some odd luck, that's true. But this was such an unusual situation that nobody thought anything of it. Nobody thought that the effects would be any different on someone older. It's nobody's fault, Harry. And certainly not yours."

"Do you think Malfoy knew?" Neville asked thoughtfully then immediately regretted his question when Harry became wild-eyed.

"Oh, I hope not," Harry groaned. "I don't want to be tied to someone who would trick me. Though, it's not like I have a choice now."

Hermione sighed and said. "Maybe not, Harry. I doubt Malfoy knew, though, so don't worry. How would he know? You've had another date with him, right? Did you ask?"

"I...no," Harry said hesitantly. "I...rescheduled his date to next week. Grandfather thought it might be a good idea if you guys came with me. Will you?"

Both Hermione and Neville blinked in surprise. Neville finally ventured, "You want us to go with you on your date?"

Harry nodded. "It's a meeting with the family. At the Malfoy estates. You'll come with me, won't you? I asked Lavender, too, but she's off floating in the Caribbean. We already asked if we could bring you and they said yes. You'll come, won't you? Please?"

Hermione and Neville exchanged worried glances. "Of course we'll come," Hermione said soothingly.

"Oh, good. Good," Harry said in relief. "I just... Now that I know it's him...I don't think I'll be able to stay away from him. I'm going to need someone to hold me back, I think. Grandfather thinks so, too. It was his idea. And what am I going to do at school. Maybe..."

"Harry, slow down," Neville said and clasped one of Harry's hands in an effort to settle his friend. "We'll come and keep anything from happening. We both know that you have to wait. We'll take care of you. At school, too."

"All right. All right," Harry said and took several deep breaths. It took him several minutes before he was able to calm his frantic thoughts. "So, your turn, Hermione. Tell us about the fight with your parents and what you've been doing with the Unspeakables," he said once he was calmer, even if only by a little bit.

Hermione snorted her frustration. "They wanted to go to Spain for vacation. I told them I would love to but couldn't because I had just acquired a wizarding job. They were not pleased. We had a big fight about how the wizarding world is taking over my life. I told them it was my destiny and, in retrospect, that wasn't such a good idea."

Harry laughed slightly. "Destiny is a bad word," he said. "You should never say bad words around your parents."

Both Neville and Hermione grinned at Harry's semi-joke. They both knew he was mostly serious given how destiny was affecting his own life.