Chapter 11: A Day At the Library

April 1870, Paris, France

Evangeline's POV

I have been staying at Erik's lair for about two months now. Ever since our truce, he has shown to be rather decent company when he wanted to be. We didn't really talk much, he and I, but we would always spend mealtimes together and exchange some small talk about what we were going to do that day. He had also helped me out with my French and there would be times throughout the day where we would start switching from English to French when we were having our little chats.

The day our friendship started was also the day my free voice lessons began. He has shown to be a very strict teacher that was a complete perfectionist. There have been occasions where we had butted heads because I didn't sing in a way that he would teach me, or if I didn't get the note right after the third time, but other than that, I was enjoying having voice lessons.

To be honest, I didn't expect myself to be in any kind of relationship with the Phantom of the Opera, but here I am, having a platonic friendship with the frightening Opera Ghost himself

I was putting the finishing touches on our breakfast (which consisted of pancakes with my homemade caramel syrup and beef scrapple) when Erik came in the kitchen.

"Here, let me help you." He said as he saw me trying to carry two plates of pancakes and two plates of scrapple. He took a plate of pancakes and scrapple along with the jar of caramel syrup. As we put the plates that we had on our own side of the table, I noticed a look of perplexity on Erik's face.

Erik's POV

"You okay over there, Erik?" I heard my friend ask. I turned my gaze to the dark-skinned beauty that sat before me. Both her green dress with silver buttons (A/N: The dress is up top) and her hair that was fashioned into a bun made her look like an elegant queen. She was so beautiful, whereas I was the epitome of hideousness

To be honest, my mind was in chaos. One moment, I would be in total bliss at the fact that I had been so lucky that a beauty like that would be willing to be friends with a beast like me, but when I marveled at the sheer reality of my current friendship, my thoughts would torment me with this one thought:

Will this last or am I bound for disappointment?

It would get so bad at times that I would lock myself away in my music room and pound at the organ just to let some frustration out.

"Earth to Erik! Come in, Erik!" I heard Evangeline call to me.

"Oui, ma aimé?"

"First off, please stop spacing out like that. It kinda freaks me out. And second, what's the matter? You've hadn't really said anything all morning."

"Oh, it's nothing important, let me assure you."

She gave me an unconvinced look but didn't go further. Instead, she asked, "What are we going to do today?"

"Hmm, you have greatly improved on your lessons so far, so you can take the day off if you wish."

"Well, my day's pretty much set. Since I don't have practice and I won't be able to go back to GSU anytime soon, I'll probably spend my time in the library or something."

Ah, I thought, Her love of literature is surely something to be admired. Especially since young women her age would rather spend their time talking about parties and dresses and all sorts of other pointless things.

Suddenly, without thinking, I asked,

"May I join you?"

Evangeline's POV

My head shot up from my food as I heard Erik voice his request. He had never really asked anything like that before. At least, not around me. We had never really spent time with each other before, save for the voice lessons and our little chats during mealtimes.

Now that I think about it, I do like having alone time, but I've been getting kind of bored and lonely these past two months. I actually look forward to talking to Erik during our mealtimes. It makes time go faster.

But as I was about to give Erik my answer, he gave a panicked reply,

"I apologize. I haven't realized what I said! I shouldn't ask to invade your pri-"

"Whoa! Calm down, Erik! I would actually like some company. It gets kinda boring being by yourself all the time."

When I said that, Erik's golden eyes brightened under his full-faced mask. As we finished breakfast and washed the dishes, we both headed for the library room.

Erik's POV

I felt ready to burst with happiness. She didn't object to me joining her. She even said that she WANTED my company! No one has ever wanted my company before! Oh, I was in ecstasy!

She and I had arrived at the library, where I saw her grab more than ten books and sit on one of the easy chairs, whereas I, on the other hand, took a copy of
Lès Misérables that was written by that Victor Hugo fellow not to long ago.

I glanced at Evangeline and saw that she was reading an English copy of King James Bible. I didn't even know that I had a Bible in the library, much less an English copy. I had stopped believing in such things since I was a child, but since she seemed to enjoy reading it, I didn't make a fuss. She doesn't seem like the person to force her beliefs on someone. Especially when the God of that belief seemed to hate them.

Are you sure about that? The Voice asked.

About what? I asked back.

About God hating you.

Before I had time to think of a response, I heard Evangeline clear her throat.

"Hey, Erik?"

"Oui?"

"Thanks for keeping me company. I appreciate it. " She smiled at me as she closed the Bible and picked up another book from the pile she had made.

"You're welcome. " I replied softly, turning my gaze back to Lès Misérables.

A/N: I'M BAAAAAACK! So sorry about the lack of updates! I have been super busy. This week is Spring Break and I'm on vacation. Plus, writer's block sucks! Also.....

1.7K VIEWS!!!!!!! OH MY GOSH, YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!

Thank you guys so much for reading this story and for the 123 votes that you guys gave me. I would also like to give a special shout out to LotusOrchid18 and to Jillcharlene. To LotusOrchid18, thank you for your funny comments and also to my mom, Jillcharlene thank you for your constant support and love.

So, what did you guys think?

Please Vote, Comment and Share!♡♥♡♥