Chapter 32: Hellfire

Evangeline's POV

I felt like I was floating on Cloud Nine as I anticipated the end of the rehearsal so that I could come straight home to my baby.

Presently, I sat alone on a window seat that was infront of a stained-glass portrait of an angel, surrounded by lit candels in the chapel area of the Opera House as my rehearsal was technically over and the chorus girls were taking over the last half-hour before we had to call it a day. It felt good to be in a of worship after not stepping a foot inside a church for half a year.

Unlike many of the rooms in the Opera House which exploded with brillant colors and were greatly decorated, this room was simple. There were wax candles everywhere, lighting the room in a subdued glow, a mahogany cross was placed on one side of the room and in front of that was a small altar.

The room was blanketed in a comfortable silence as I thought about my new life and my new boyfriend. I had, in some way, accepted the fact that I was not going home anytime soon and with me and Erik becoming a couple now, I don't think I would want to. At least, not if Erik wasn't able to come with me.

Don't get me wrong, I love my family and I really miss them, but I love Erik too and I wouldn't want to part with him. He has been hurt and alone for too long. I had been hurt and alone for too long.

Just as I was beginning to pray, I heard the hinges of the chapel door creak as someone entered this holy sanctuary.

"Forgive me, Mademoiselle McKenna, but do you mind if I sit here?" I heard Robert ask as he sat down next to me.

I just shrugged my shoulders in responce. He already took the seat anyway, but I wasn't gonna make a fuss.

The room was still silent as I notice Robert making the Sign of the Cross before asking me another question.

"Do you mind if we had our talk in here instead of after rehearsals?"

"No, I don't mind. Besides rehearsal's pretty much over now. What is it that you want to talk about?"

He gave me a sheepish smile before continuing.

"First off, I would like to apologise for the embarrassment you had to endure because of my family as well as my abominable attitude towards you dancing with someone else. You are right, I have no control over you."

I sighed as he sat there, looking like a pouty one-year-old. Kind of cute but super annoying.

Not as cute as my Erik though. I thought, a secret smile ghosting over my face.

"Ah, don't worry about it. Your sister was just bold enough to say part of what everyone else wanted to say. And as for me dancing with another man, you're absolutely right."

At this, his eyes shot up in surprise.

"Really?"

"Yeah. You can't control me. I am my own person and I need to be treated as such."

He pressed his lips together in a thin line before continuing.

"Yes. As I was saying, I wanted to ask you a question." 

I wouldn't want to answer said question, but what's the worse that could happen?

"Alright, what is it?" 

"I have held certain feelings toward you ever since I first saw you."

"Okay?"

"And I haven't felt like this toward anyone before. Not even to members of my own race."