Chapter 27: At The Gala Part 1

A Few Weeks Later

Evangeline's POV
I started messing with my hair as I tried to decide how to put it up. The gala was in an hour and I was sitting in my dressing room with my dress on. The top part was dark blue and the bottom part was sky blue, per Robert's request, and it had gold embroidery on the bodice and hem (A/N: dress is above).

After finally deciding to let it stay loose and putting crystal pins into it, I felt a breeze enter my room as the mirror opened behind me.

I turned around to see that it was Erik, dressed all in red from the top of his head to the sole of his feet, with a huge calavire hat on his head that was topped with a red feather and a gigantic, billowy cape. A white, full-faced mask in the shape of a skull was on his face.

"Hello, my dear." He spoke, the bottom part of his mask moving along with his mouth.

I was in shock. The costume was exactly like the Andrew Lloyd Webber version of his costume from Masquerade!

"Ah, it seems that I have made a good impression." He laughed as I sat in a sense of awe.

I snapped out of my stupor as I began to do my hair, talking to him in the process.

"Didn't you wear something like that before?" I said as I brushed out my hair so that it wasn't a nappy mess.

"Hm. Well, not exactly. I do not know if you are aware of the costume that I wore during the Bal Masqué, but I had decided to wear a red suit and cape with a skull mask covering the top part of my face to pass off as a convincing Red Death. This is a more, shall we say, flamboyant version of the same costume with modifications."

I listened as I continued to do my hair, Erik's words giving off subtle tones of excitement.

"You're sitting in Box Five?" I asked as I placed the final pin in my curls.

"Of course, that's my Box. Besides, I wouldn't miss this gala for anything! "

"And there won't be any incidents? "

"My dear, you have my word." He replied, sweeping his hat as he took an mock bow.

I laughed as I gave him a playful nudge. He then turned back to the mirror to leave but not before I grabbed his hand.

"Hey, just be careful out there. Okay?"

He nodded and as he turned away, he then said, "By the way, you look very beautiful, Evangeline."

Soon, I was alone. I checked the clock and saw that I had an half an hour left until showtime. I then turned my attention to the playbill and saw that I was one of the final performances for the night.

After making sure I look okay in the mirror, I then left the dressing room and headed for the back of the stage, passing stage hands and chorus members as I rushed to where some of my fellow performers waited.

Suddenly, I felt someone grab my arm and lead me away from the others. But before I was able to react, I heard a familiar voice.

"Calm down, Evangeline! It's me, Robert."

I turned around to see that it was my boss, smiling at me with a sparkling grin.

"You look absolutely stunning, Miss McKenna. And with this necklace on, I know that you will be even more astonishing."

With that, he quickly got behind me and draped my lapis lazuli necklace around my neck and fastened it on.

"Thanks." I said politely as I returned his smile.