Chapter 34: Revelation and A Choice

Evangeline's POV

So, this is what dying feels like.

There was a sudden, excruciating pain that erupted in my chest as the bullet went straight through, possibly hitting an artery or, most likely, my heart. My lungs felt as if they were bursting into flame as each rapid breath passed through my lips.
I could actually feel my body growing cold as I laid there on the stage.

Although my vision was starting to gray around the edges and there was a constant ringing in my ears, I was still able to witness Erik losing his cool.

"YOU SICK BASTARD! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!" He angrily cried.

I just heard Robert scoff.

"She brought that onto herself. She should've gotten out of the way. Better yet, she should have chosen me!"

Since I was still lying on the floor, I couldn't see what had happened next, but I could hear Erik practically roar with rage as a thump was heard, along with the two men engaged in a brawl. As I felt weaker and weaker by the second, there was the sound of someone struggling to breathe before an audiable crack was heard.

I tried (and failed) to turn my head towards the noise, praying that Erik was okay when I felt a presence slide over to me.

"Angel!" Erik cried as he gently held me to his chest.

"You're alright." I whispered, my voice hoarse.

"Yes, and you will be alright, too. Then we will be together and we shall be happy. Maybe even become husband and wife if you so desire!" He replied, tears dripping down his unmasked face like a waterfall.

"That's a nice thought, baby. But I guess it wasn't meant to be." I say as I felt my soul beginning to leave my body.

"No! It is! Please, don't go! Don't leave me alone! I love you!"

"I love you too, Erik. I always will."

With that, my heart slowed, my lungs drew one more painful breath, and I knew no more.

***********************************************************************

Evangeline.

Evangeline.

Evangeline.

I opened my eyes after I heard Someone call my name. The pain that I had felt was gone and I was standing in a room of pure white.

"Who's there?" I asked. The room was empty of people save for myself and the Voice seemed to come out of no where.

At that moment, I heard the sound of a warm, fatherly chuckle as the room became filled with a blinding flash of light.

You know who I AM.

"God?"

The Voice chuckled again as the light swirled around me like a soft blanket.

Yes, child. I Am He.

" If You're here, then this must be Heaven, right? Weird, this isn't at all like what I expected."

He then gave a boisterous laugh as the light swirled faster around me.

No, Evangeline. This is not Heaven. And don't worry, this is not Hell either.

"Limbo?" I asked, taking a wild guess.

No. Limbo doesn't exist. You either go to Heaven or Hell. There is no in between. It isn't your time yet anyway.