Chapter 27: At The Gala Part 2

Evangeline's POV

As the curtain closed, I was immediately surrounded by a few members of the cast as they all quickly started to congratulate me on a job well done. With everyone onstage, the curtain opened again to reveal us for a curtain call as both Robert and Johnathan walked from Box Three to the stage.

The applause was deafening as more flowers were being thrown at us and some were handed directly to me as all of the performers took a final bow, the curtain closing in front of us while Johnathan and Robert were still in front of us and talking to the audience.

I walked over from the stage and into my dressing room to relax a bit before the actual gala began and as I reached for the door, I was suddenly surrounded my more people who were congratulating me, some of which were handing me even more flowers. When the final person left me alone, I swiftly opened the door to put all of my flowers inside as a voice softly echoed throughout the lair.

"You were amazing tonight." Erik said as his voice bounced from one wall to the other.

I felt my face grow warm as slight tingly feelings started to take over.

"You really think so?"

"I know so! You were the best one out of all of the performances tonight."

I laughed slightly as I heard a knock on my door.

"Mademoiselle McKenna? Monsieur Robert Baptisté requests your presence in the lobby for the gala." A woman's voice said through the closed door.

I groaned in annoyance.

"Of course. I forgot that I promised to let him escort me. Well Erik, I guess I'll be seeing you around. Just don't do anything crazy that might result in me smacking you upside the head like last time."

Erik just laughed.

"Don't you worry your pretty little head about that. I'll be careful."

With that, I left the room, mentally prepping myself for a quite aggravating evening.

I made my way to the lobby as I saw Robert appear on the giant stairwell separating us from everyone else.

"Shall we?" I heard the blond twerp ask as he held out his arm.

I linked my arm with his as we walked down the staircase together while the other guests, who had stopped their conversations with each other, stared at us and clapped as we made our way downstairs.

As we got closer to his father, however, he seemed far from pleased. In fact, had not the hundreds of guests and potential patrons not been around us, he would probably try to kill me.

The air became stagnant and suffocating as we kept eyeballing each other as I noticed an older woman with graying chestnut hair hanging onto Johnathan's arm followed by what seemed to be her younger doppelganger.

"So, you're the negro who became the new Prima Donna?" She spoke, caution edged in her tone.

"Yes ma'am. And who might you be?" I asked in a sweet voice.

"Evangeline, this is my mother Jeannette and the youngin behind her is my little sister, Margaret. But most folks call her Maggie." He replied excitedly.

"Well, it's nice to meet you." I said as I held out my hand for them to shake.

She didn't move. All she did was stare at my hand. Her daughter, however, went up to me without fear.

"I've heard negros sing at our old plantation, but none of them sounded as beautiful as you did. I bet your master loved to hear you sing!" She chirped in a cheerful voice.