Ch. 1 Hysterical Females

*Ray

Ray had a sinking suspicion her mother believed the only reason she wanted to go to Hawaii State University was for the beaches and hot surfers. Which of course, wasn't true. Hawaii State University offered a degree in Marine Biology in addition to having beaches and hot surfers.

"Besides," Ray said, careful to add a few overtones of mature to her voice, "Beth lives there with Russell. I'd have family nearby."

"On a completely different island." Her mother, Joana, stood at the sink, washing a salad bowl. Scrubbing it obsessively, actually. But then, she did most things obsessively. "What if there was a catastrophe like a tsunami or a volcanic eruption and she couldn't get to you? What if you were stranding and dying somewhere? What would you do then?"

"I'd get help from all my hot surfer guy-friends," Ray said. Her stomach was curling up in knots, and Ray interpreted it as hunger. She wasn't nervous about her mother saying no to her dreams of going to Hawaii for college. No. There had to be a package of chips somewhere in the kitchen. She would find them and she would devour them.

Joanna rubbed the bowl dry three times after she finished washing it. She dried and Ray munched in sullen silence.

"I really don't see why you can't get started on this marine biology thing here and then transfer to HU when you are twenty." Now that the bowl was sparkling clean, her mom started attacking the countertop, scouring the surface with her washcloth.

"A degree in marine biology kind of necessitates marine life to study."

"We have excellent universities here."

"This is Denver, Mom. Have you seen the ocean around here recently? Because I can't seem to find it with all these mountains," Ray said. She rolled up the bag of chips and clipped them. Her mom took the bag, rerolled it tighter and clipped it again.

"They go stale if you don't do it right."

"And I'll go stale if I have to stay here!"

"You are the biggest drama queen. I can't let you go that far and it's final."

Ray groaned loudly, like a tree cracking in half before it falls.

Her mother tsked, pursing her lips in tiny, judgmental wad. "Besides, it wouldn't be safe. You joke about those boys, but do you have any idea how dangerous campuses are? You shouldn't live in a dorm when you can stay here with me for another year or two. They put pills in girls' drinks and make them smoke reefer and who knows what. No, sir. Not my daughter."

Ray pushed off the counter where she was leaning and approached her mom for a hug. "You're right. Well, partly right. I'm pretty sure no one makes anyone else smoke reefer, but it can be dangerous for girls on campuses. I've gone over this with Beth a million times. A million freakin' times. But the university takes security issues very seriously and I'll be careful."

"And if there is a tsunami? How safe will you be then?"

"I'll have my surfboard, I'll be fine."

"This isn't a joke. You could drown like Beth almost did, you could get mugged and killed. You could get attacked by a shark and lose your arm, or boys could take advantage of you, and then your whole life would be ruined. Trauma and ruin. No. Just no."

"Drowned, mugged, killed, amputated and exploited. Jeez, Mom, have a little faith in my survival skills," Ray said. "It's not like I'm going to show up in Honolulu, flop down on the sand like a beached whale and not try to save myself no matter what happens." She couldn't handle any more of her mom that evening.

"Where are you going?" Joanna called as Ray stomped out of the kitchen.

"For a latté and to call my sister. At least she's on my side."

***

Ray choked on her latté. She coughed to clear her lungs and shouted, "What do you mean I shouldn't come to Hawaii?"

Several shoppers twisted around in their seats to stare in disapproval. Ray frowned and shoed them with a wave of her hand.

On the other end of the phone, Beth sighed. "I don't mean you shouldn't come, but Mom is right. You'll be on your own and it could be hard on you. And campuses are dangerous for young women. This is something you need to think about."

"Young women are the majority on campuses! I'll stick tight to my new besties, and we'll go everywhere together. Besides, HU offers the degree I want. You live nearby and it's a beautiful place. They accepted my application. I have a partial scholarship. I want to go snorkeling every morning!"

"We live on a different island, Ray. You would be alone almost all of the time."

Ray slurped her iced latté, the cold rush hitting her brain like an avalanche, but she needed the cold to keep from boiling over. Then she took a deep breath.

"Why is it no one understands that I'm eighteen and able to make decisions for myself and...and I can actually make friends and not walk alone after dark with no clothes on and a neon sign that says: 'Assault me, I'm helpless'?"

"No one thinks you're helpless."

"Put on Russell. Put on Russell since you say not everyone thinks that. I want proof."

Beth sighed again. "He's busy, he has a big order for a cabinet. Oh, wait. He wants the phone."

Ray finished her latté and jumped up from her seat ready for another one. She'd be good and get a decaf since it was already eight in the evening, but she couldn't handle the situation without back up.

"Ray," Russell said.

She shivered just listening to her name. He had the greatest voice. He was way too old for her and not the least bit attractive since he was with her sister, but he should seriously consider doing voice overs on GPS systems. 'Turn left at the next intersection' would be taken to a whole new level of driving experiences.

"Hey, Russell. So there's this discussion—"

"Save it," he interrupted. She was about to protest, but he continued. "Book your ticket to Honolulu, I'll handle the hysterical women in your family."

"Oh," she said. "Thanks. You know you are my favorite brother-boyfriend-in-law?"

"No, problem. I hope I'm your only brother-boyfriend-in-law, and speaking of hysterics, here's your sister."

"Bye!" He didn't hear her, though. He was already replaced by Beth.

"Ray, we'll discuss this some more. I'm not saying you shouldn't come—"

"Sorry, I can't hear you! I'm shopping at the Cavern, it's underground, the connection is bad."

"You learned that trick from me," Beth said.

"And you're the best. Russell is the best. Mom's not so bad when she's calm and I'll start checking for a ticket. See you in a couple of months!"

She hung up and smiled at the other shoppers who shook their heads and rolled their eyes at her. So she was little loud when she got excited. Some people considered that to be a positive thing.

And speaking of positive things—Honolulu, here I come!

***And she's off!!!!***