Ch. 24 Because...Bros Before Hoes

*Lokela

Lokela took a deep breath, inhaling her scent and warmth and closeness.

Her lips parted. "Ice-cream," she whispered.

Every nerve had been ready to hear bedroom. Reality slapped him in the face, again. He stepped back. "Ice-cream it is. Ready to go?"

"Absolutely. I want ice-cream in November. That's what I want." She blinked several times. "I just have to get my thingy-thing for the what do you call it?"

"Helmet for your bike?"

"Right!" She snapped her fingers and in a flash, she was gone.

It took a moment for his heart to slow down enough for him to go downstairs to join her. He did these things to himself because he was an idiot. As if she would suddenly kiss him again after he yanked her arm out of its socket and made her stand too close.

Bedroom.

If there was one moment he could wipe from his memory to keep from having to ache for it over and over all the time, it would be the day she whispered bedroom, and for a minute, had wanted him.

They hopped on their bikes and he motioned for her to go first in order to follow her—at least he could enjoy the view.

He let himself get set up for the inevitable fall every single time Ray talked to him. If she breezed into his room while he was writing her a letter he would never have the courage to give her, and then asked him to do something wild, outside, his mind immediately imagined her naked body entwined with his in the Birds of Paradise bushes.

But all she wanted was ice-cream.

His hopes went out of control. His reality crashed into him.

The words ice-cream coming from her lips was sweetest nectar, though. He would be happy to listen to her describe the cold, creamy goodness instead of actually having any.

Or at least, he believed this lie until he had to sit across from her at a tiny, metal table and watch her lick that cold, creamy goodness while his own cone sat forgotten in his fist, dripping.

"Hey, need a napkin?" she asked, pointing at the running chocolate drips on his hands. "Here. Or do this."

She demonstrated cleaning her hand with her tongue and his erection sprang to life so suddenly, he couldn't breathe.

"Lokela, seriously." Huffing in exasperation, she wiped him with a thin napkin, smearing the chocolate more than anything else.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," he said.

He was not fine. Far from it. He shifted his legs, hoping his loose shorts hid his predicament. Aloha Tower was filled with tourists and islanders like the two of them, looking for a shady spot to relax and enjoy the people-watching.

But he was watching one person, and one person only. Ray's hair was held from her neck by a messy braid. Blond strands escaped its hold, though, and stuck to her pink skin. A couple of spots of sweat glistened on her forehead from their bike ride to the sea, and her filmy shirt hung open in a deep V at her chest.

He told his eyes not to wander, but when she twisted in the seat, the top fell to the side and revealed the lacy strap and top of her bra. The soft swell of her breast tantalized.

So close. So far away.

Ray bounded upwards, waving. "Hey, Doug!" She addressed Lokela again. "It's Doug, I'm going to go say hi. Don't leave, all right?"

He motioned vaguely to his chocolate ice-cream covered hands as if to say where the hell would he even go with this mess all over him, but she had already taken off. In a flash, she was on Doug's back, giving him a full body squeeze. Doug's new boyfriend took a selfie of the threesome.