7

When she came to, Mhera was lying in her bedchamber with her governess sitting nearby.

Madam Gella noticed her stirring and rose. "My lady, you're awake," she said, feeling the girl's brow.

"What happened?" Mhera asked.

"You fainted. Empress Esaria is terribly worried. They called a guard to carry you in here; Her Grace went to speak to the emperor. How do you feel?"

"Tired," Mhera said. "But I'm not sick. She needn't worry Uncle."

"Perhaps it is nothing; you have only been in a swoon for a few minutes. But I'll insist you stay in bed tonight, and I expect His Grace will summon the physicker to attend you. You shall take your tea here, and you shall not do your needlework tonight. Tomorrow, if you're feeling better."

Mhera was not going to argue with a reprieve from her least favorite lesson, and in fact she was grateful to remain abed. Although she felt physically well, her mind was uneasy. And even when the palace physician had come and gone, pronouncing her weak and prescribing strong tea and exercise—something of which Mhera received plenty, capering after Koreti—she felt a sense of foreboding that she could not shake.

The next morning, Koreti met her after breakfast to walk with her to their lessons. These, they took with some of the other noble children of the city in a graceful building on the other side of the Sovereign Square, a short walk away. Because the area was heavily patrolled by palace guards, it was safe for them to walk themselves. Koren and Kaori, the elder princes, typically went on ahead and left the younger children to come on their own.

Koreti was dressed like a young gentleman; the only hint of his rambunctious nature was the wooden sword stuck through his belt. "You really scared Mother last night," he said after they had walked in silence for some time. "And you scared me, too. You should tell me what happened."

"Nothing happened," Mhera lied. "I just fainted. I have to drink more tea. That's what Physicker Naelis says."

"She thinks everything comes down to tea."

"Well, maybe it will work. I haven't even tried any yet."

"I think there's something else wrong. I think you're lying to me. I can tell, because every time you're preparing to lie, you press your lips together like this." Koreti did a passable imitation of her expression. "And you set your shoulders, like this. And you look like you're ready to either punch me or run."

Mhera grinned despite herself. She opened her mouth to make a rebuttal, but before she could, Koreti continued.

"And I was there, Mhera. You kept screaming for Mother and you looked like you'd seen a monster." He seemed unsettled, as if remembering the scene too clearly for his comfort. He looked away from her, pausing in his walk to kick a stone. It skittered across the cobbles of the square.

Reticent, Mhera said, "It was nothing. Besides, how do you know? I don't lie. Not ... not very often." She drew to a stop next to him.

The prince cocked his head at her, revealing by the gesture how ridiculous her claim was. "Well, you do—I've seen you tell a few good ones. Who broke that window last week, hmm? That's how I know how to tell. I suppose you don't lie often to me. Only, in fact, about important things."

Mhera frowned at this. Koreti beckoned to her and began to walk again. They were not far from the statues of the Blessed Sovereigns in the center of the square, and she followed him over closer to the monument. She was hurt by what he'd said, but afraid that it might be the truth.

Koreti smiled at her; at least he wasn't angry. Gently, he said, "You never told me why you were crying at dinner. Do you remember? I haven't forgotten. I've waited to see if you would, but you haven't. That's how I know it's important. You've kept the secret so long, and now you're preparing to keep another one."