75

It was a fine autumn day.

Mhera leaned against the door of a stall in the imperial stables. She was tall enough now to easily see inside. The white horse within was no longer the gleaming stallion he had been, but he was no less beautiful for his age. He looked smaller now, less fearsome and wonderful, and his eyes were clouded.

The cloying scent of sweet hay surrounded her, and she could hear the shushing sound of a hostler nearby forking hay. She could also hear footsteps, and she knew whose they were. She did not turn until she felt his hand come to rest gently on the small of her back.

"He could be yours, if you want him," she said.

She felt Matei's shoulders rise and fall with his sigh. "How foolish are the things that children want," he said. "The world seems so simple when you're young."

Mhera turned toward him. She looked up at his face, tracing the line of his marke with her eyes. His face was familiar to her now, and there was nothing there to fear anymore. Together, they had faced death—and survived. Had it really been only the day before? "What is it?"

"Koren is gone," Matei said. "And the archmage, too."

A chill presentiment swept over Mhera. "I see." She paused. "Where have they gone?"

Matei shook his head. "I don't know."

"Well, at least Kaori's reign will be uncontested."

Matei shook his head a second time, and Mhera could tell there was something on his mind—something else. But he kept his peace for a moment. Gently, hesitantly, he slid his arm around Mhera's shoulders. Mhera glanced up at him as he embraced her, but she did not move away. After a moment, she took half a step toward him and let her head fall against his shoulder.

They stood there in silence for a while, watching the drowsing horse. The light played off his hide brilliantly, reminding Mhera of another light, another day.

"Will you ride today, Your Highness?"

Matei and Mhera both turned to see the master hostler leaning against a pitchfork with a tentative smile.

"No, Master Callin, but thank you," said Matei. "I'm dallying, in fact. Lady Mhera and I are wanted. Prince Kaori has called a council, and I think we are already late."

Mhera looked up at him. "A council? With you?"

"With us," Matei said. He did not look like he relished the thought of the meeting.

She frowned. "About what?"

Matei did not respond at first. He offered her his arm, and she slipped her hand through it, allowing him to guide her out of the stable. They walked through the blacksmith's courtyard toward the front way into the palace. Matei was silent until they were out of earshot of the hostler.

"It's the succession," Matei said. "He wants to talk about who will wear the crown." 

Dear Reader, thank you for coming on this journey with me! I hope you've enjoyed this story

Dear Reader, thank you for coming on this journey with me! I hope you've enjoyed this story. Your comments, votes, feedback, and encouragement have meant more to me than I can say. 

I'm afraid this brings us to the end of Matei and Mhera's first adventure, but there are more stories to be told in the Lore of Penrua series...turn the page to find out more! 

xx Mina