46

Mhera lay that night in a cot not far from Matei's, drifting in and out of a fitful sleep. She saw Aun's silhouette passing to and fro during the darkest hours, tending to Matei and the old man, her other ward. The healer sponged Matei's brow and whispered to him in the dark. By morning, Matei's fever had broken.

"No, you'll stay here," Aun was saying, frowning as she tied a fresh set of bandages for Matei.

Mhera, standing at her side with the pot of salve, looked on as Matei swatted Aun's hand away. "I'm hungry," he said.

"I'll bring you breakfast."

"You've got Jonn to worry about—fuss over him, not me," Matei said. "My fever has broken and so has your power over me, cottage witch."

Mhera couldn't tell if Matei was truly irritable or just acting like it so Aun would let him be. The healer darted an exasperated glance to Mhera, who returned the look without expression. Perhaps there was less animosity between her and Matei for the moment, but she could not bring herself to care overmuch where he broke his fast.

Defeated, and finding no help in Mhera's quarter, Aun shooed Matei on. "Fine. Go. Don't come crawling back when you feel terrible later on."

"I assure you I shall not," he said with affected haughtiness. He stood up and pulled on the tunic he had worn for only a little while the day before. But when Aun made to turn away, he gently took her wrist and turned her back, looking her full in the face with sincerity. "Thank you, Aun."

The woman pursed her lips. "You are a thorn in my side, Matei u Rhodana. Mhera, how are your feet feeling today?"

"Much better, thank you." Actually, Mhera felt much better in general. Aun had bound her feet for her again, tutting over the blisters, and Mhera felt almost safe in the infirmary, which was no small thing. She had also been able to clean up with hot water and a rag behind the changing screen and marveled at the restorative effect that a good washing-up can have on a person.

Mhera had no clothes in Hanpe, unlike Matei, and had nothing to wear now but the stolen clothes from the palace. They were not clean, but they were much better than the gray dress with its mud-crusted hem. She felt even more conspicuous than before in the white blouse and red skirt. Aun had given her cord for her braid, so she had been able to tame her long hair, which made her feel as civilized as she could feel in such a place as this.

"Good. I want both of you to eat a good breakfast, and I'll see you—both of you!—before the day is out to check your bandages. Do you understand?"

"Yes," Matei said. "Come, Mhera, before she changes her mind. She's frightful when she gets her mind set on something. I have an errand to care for before we go to breakfast."

First, Matei led her through the settlement along the main road. The track was still treacherously muddy, so they kept to the damp grass at the side of the trail.

To Mhera, Matei's mood seemed much improved today. She didn't see the edginess and anger that had characterized him in the woods. Still, her stomach churned with anxiety. She would guard her words carefully. She must. After the grueling journey, Matei's biting cruelty, and the terror of the trial, she was not keen to upset him—or anyone else in Hanpe—again.

Hesitantly, she said, "You must remember to send a message to Rhea."

"That's what we'll do," he said. "We're on our way to the rangers' hut. I'll leave a message for the next venture to the city."

Mhera was surprised. "To the city?"

"Aye—we're often there. Just two or three of us from Hanpe at a time." Matei cast her a glance. "Perhaps you should hold your questions, Mhera. You will mislike most of the answers, and we should save our quarrels for another day."