37

As their afternoon meal cooked on the hearth, Rhea began to collect the items she could spare for Matei and Mhera to take with them on their journey. Mhera, still feeling out of sorts and out of place, decided to help. Her only other option was to sit there passively and watch, and she was tired of doing that.

Rhea had little. She could give them some cheese, rough brown bread and several apples; she also managed to find a knife and flint they could take. She insisted that Mhera take the comb Matei had found, and there were two blankets to spare. She also packed the clothes the two had brought with them from the palace, although she was too afraid to wash them and hang them out to dry, lest they be seen, so the garments were still sweat-soiled from the long trek through the city the day before.

Mhera arranged all the items on the kitchen table, unsure how to take inventory. It looked like plenty of food to her, but she knew nothing of provisioning for a journey.

"I'm afraid I haven't any shoes to spare for you, Mhera, and yours are beyond repair. I shall give you the ones I wear, if they fit you."

"Please, madam. You must do no such thing," Mhera said.

"We'll get her some boots, Grandmother," said Matei, who was stirring the stew in the pot over the fire. He leaned in to sample a steaming spoonful of broth. He hissed as the too-hot liquid touched his tongue and pulled his face away without a taste. "We also need something to pack all this in, and a water skin. I have coin, but it will not be enough to buy boots."

"Then where do you propose to get these things? I've hardly any money—not enough for boots." Rhea was fretful; she twisted her hands together.

Matei looked around the cottage, assessing. "I'll go to Eddin; he'll help us," he said. He leaned in again to the spoon, blowing on the broth.

"You will not. It's too dangerous," Rhea said.

"It will be just a moment. He's only a few houses away, and he's loyal to our cause, Rhea. He'll lend us the money and a water skin. And there's Sidda's second-hand shop not far from here. There will be boots there. I can get there and back with little enough trouble." Matei sipped the broth from his spoon at last and licked his lips.

"How can you ask it of him, Matei! You were raised better—better than to beg!"

"This is very good, Rhea. I've missed your cooking sorely." Matei grinned disarmingly at the old woman. "Eddin won't begrudge us the help. And there's nothing else we can do. We don't have many options. She cannot go unshod through the woods."

Rhea pursed her lips, but said nothing.

Matei kissed the old woman's cheek. Then he moved toward the door. "I'll be quick about it, Rhea. Mhera, stay here."

"Matei," Mhera said, "You do not have to tell me to stay. I am not a dog, and I have nowhere else to go."

The rebel paused with his hand on the door, looking at her in surprise. His expression softened. "I meant no offense, Mhera."

Offense was just one of the feelings warring in Mhera's heart as she stared at their provisions, thinking of the long journey ahead alone with this detestable man. She didn't respond to him, focusing instead on arranging the apples in a neater group on the table so she did not have to look Matei in the face.

"I'll be back."

Mhera heard the door open. Afternoon light slanted in across the floor. She glanced up as Rhea's front room brightened, in time to see Matei step out. But half a moment later, she saw one of his hands come back into sight, clutching the door frame. Matei gasped, as if in pain, and his grimacing face swayed back into sight. He was off balance, bent over, with his other hand clutching his chest.