Thief King (Yami Bakura)

The walls are still standing, amazingly enough

The walls are still standing, amazingly enough. I know I'm not supposed to touch the carvings of the heiroglyphs on them, but I really don't care. I run my finger gently over the texture of the stone walls, and see if I can decode any of them.

I've always wanted to come to Egypt, specifically to an ancient place. I just have a great connection with everything that has to do with this civilization, I feel it. Everything seems so wonderful, so mystical...

"Can you even hear what I'm saying?"

With a light gasp, I snap out of my daze and quickly bring my hand in again. I turn around to see my companion, Bakura.

He doesn't exactly look happy. He's frowning, if only slightly, and has his arms crossed.

I grin innocently. "What?"

Bakura sighs and rolls his eyes. "Don't touch anything, will you?"

I look away from him with an embarrassed blush and turn my attention back at the temple.

Hathor's temple.

"Almost everyone is gone," I hear Bakura saying. "Hurry up so we can leave too."

"Wait," I tell him.

My back is turned to him, but I just know he's rolled his eyes again.

How ever did I come so far with him? I don't know if he's my "friend"... I mean, he's the closest I have to a friend, that's for sure. But our relationship is difficult at times. It all started back in university; we were assigned to work in pairs and that's how we met. We'd bicker constantly but we got the job done. We hang out, but we're always competing. 

La vie en rose in terms of friendship, right?

We're here in Egypt because we have to do a field research for a project (yay school). This is the first time he and I are together almost 24/7, and I can't exactly complain. We have our fights, but it's... fun. 

I just really like spending time with him.

Yeah, I've been feeling a bit differently about him lately. For about a month, to be exact. And when I found out he and I would be travelling to Egypt, alone together, well... 

I'm trying my best to hide it.

"Will you just move?"

"Hang in there!" I reply. "I'm about to decode this!"

"Those things can only be decoded by an Ancient Egyptian spirit or by a historian who spends hours of their time sitting behind a chair," he says with a mocking chuckle. "What makes you think you'll do any better?"

"My huge pride," I reply.

"Tch," I hear him saying. "I'll wait outside for you."

I tilt my head to the side slightly, and turn around to see him with his back already turned to me and making his way out of the temple.