Chapter 1

"James, your mom wants ya." Scott said, poking his head outside the door. I breath in a long sigh, taking the last bit of my cigarette with it, crushing the butt with the heal of my boot before mumbling, "what does she want?"

"She just asked me to get you." was all he said before I got up and followed him inside. I plop myself on the barstools in the kitchen and twirled myself around, waiting for the woman I called my mom to appear from wherever she was. I watched her poke her head from the laundry room, I wished she would spit it out. Whatever she said to say, we all knew I couldn't care any less.

"Lilly-Mae, I'm gonna need you to get yourself up in the morning. I have to be at work earlier than usual and I wont have time to play your little 'five more minutes' game." She said, narrowing her eyes at me. I acknowledge her with a simple shrug, "I've told you, I dont ask you to go 'out of your way' to come wake me up." I stand up and walk to the stairs before adding, "and it's James." She followed me, just as I thought I could escape her, "Cody will pick you and Scott up tomorrow after school, so don't mess around and have to have him search for you." She continued. I shake my head, opening my door and turning to face her, "I'll walk home." I shut the door and lock it behind me, finally in the safe space that was my room. "Lilly-Mae, I am not done talking to you." mom knocks on the door, trying to open it. "Well, I'm done talking to you." I say, coldly. I heard her sigh before I hear her retreating footsteps, I knew she wouldn't push. She stopped hovering a while ago, one of the only developments she's had that I can actually appreciate.

I shake my head, throwing myself on my bed groaning into my pillows. I rolled over and stared at my clock, it was only 6:30 but I was already exhausted with family interactions, and I couldn't be bothered with sitting through "family dinner time" with everyone pretending to be this lame happy family. Just thinking about that word had my brain waiting to throw up if I dared think it again. I closed my eyes and thought about anything but. I toyed with the necklace I wore that had a permanent home around my neck, running the pendent along the chain back and forth, remembering the memory that came with it.

I walk over to my closet and picked an outfit for tomorrow, making things easier so it was one less thing to hear mom complain about and got into comfy clothes before getting into bed again, staring at my ceiling.

A knock was the next thing I hear, making me jump up. I was confused and dont remember falling asleep but I got up and unlocked the door, opening a crack I come face to face with mom, who was surprised to see me up already. "Wow, you might actually make it down for breakfast, its almost ready." she smiled and I just nodded and shut the door back. I rubbed my face and found the time to be six in the morning.

"Breakfast? It's morning?" I ask, rolling over to look at her. She chuckled, "yeah, thought you'd like to sleep so I didn't wake you last night." She explained. I groan as I got up, "I'll be down in a minute." I wave my hand and went to my closet.

My outfit was simple; black high waisted shorts, a red v-neck shirt, some red flats and my lucky leather jacket, I felt it was a nice outfit for the first day of school, but I wasn't one to try and impress a crowd.

I went to the bathroom to get dressed, fix my hair and put on some makeup. When I felt decent, I grabbed two of my lighters, one that was my dad's and one that was mine, along with my pack of cigarettes and my bag. I checked in the mirror once last time before slowly making my way downstairs.

My heart clenched at the sight of what breakfast mom prepared. It's what dad used to make, every year for the first day of school. I grew irritated, but I ate anyway, as if he where really here, as if he was the one to make it.

"You kids ready?" Mom asked, searching through her purse, probably making sure she'd gotten everything she needed. While Scott nodded, I finished my breakfast and didn't bother with replying to her as I walked out of the front door.