•The Dance Off•

I don't know what I thought. I thought maybe, Kenickie would ask me to go to the dance with him, and I was disappointed to say the least, when he didn't even bring it up.

Still, since the other night in the diner, he seemed closer to me than before and I couldn't explain why. I had almost decided not to go, but Kenickie full out rejected the idea.

"You gotta go, kid. We'll all be there!" He said, from underneath the car. I helped him where I could, but I sighed, looking at him, "I don't have a date."

"Since when've you ever needed a man to have fun?" He asked, smirking. "Lower your head, Kenickie, move over James." Doody said, absentmindedly shoving me back. Kenickie glared at them for this.

"What are you doing?" He asked, frustrated. "Give him a break." I heard one of them say, though I wasn't sure which. "Oh, I will!" Kenickie replied. "No, we'll work on the brakes later. Move over, slick." Doody said, full in concentration mode. "Fruitcake, you got it on backwards." Sonny pointed out.

"What car did you swipe it from?" Putzie asked. "Your mother's." Sonny and Doody replied at the same time. I shook my head and chuckled, handing Kenickie his next tool.

•••

I spot Kenickie, Danny and Frenchy at the end of the sidewalk, entering the parking lot. I walked close enough to notice that the people were rolling cameras into the gym. I met up with Kenickie as Rizzo turned to us, glaring at me before pointing her finger forward, telling Marty to walk.

Danny walked and put his arm around Kenickie's shoulder. "Still going to the dance?" He asked. Kenickie was quiet for a moment, before smirking, "man, I'm gonna have the hottest date there."

I felt my heart sink a little and again, debated on whether or not I should go. Mom had already bought a dress, of course, but I wasn't sure how I felt about going alone.

"Hey, James, you wanna come over to my place and get ready?" Frenchy asked, looping her arm in mine. "Sure, wanna ride with me to get my dress?" I ask and she nodded, "I'll see you two later, alright?"

"Save us a dance, James." Kenickie asked, and Danny nodded. I smirked and walked away with Frenchy. "So, you and Kenickie huh?" She asked, when we arrived to my car.

I sighed, "is it bad?" She shook her head, smiling, "not at all, we all seen it coming. Is he taking you to the dance?"

I shook my head, "it's complicated, Frenchy." I admit, driving home. "We've got time." She smiled, reassuringly. I sighed and began telling her the tale of Kenickie and I.

The story lasted long enough for me to get my dress and still have something to talk about as she did my hair and makeup. Once I finished explaining everything, she looked confused. "You're right, that is complicated."

"Is that why Riz began hating me so much?" I asked, as she finished my hair. She nodded, "I guess so. It would explain everything. I would recommend just being patient with Kenickie."

I nod and slip my dress on and she smiled, "youre definitely gonna catch his eye, tonight, James." She giggled and I shook my head, I surely hoped so.

•••

I walked in with Frenchy and Doody, alot of people looking at me. I feel insecure. "You guys look great." Doody said, smiling.

I watched around, and Rizzo caught my eye. I felt anger boil up inside me when I saw who she was with. I didn't know his name, but I knew he was one of the Scorpions Kenickie always talked about. It was definitely a new low for Rizzo and I almost confronted her about it.

Danny and Sandy looked great and I almost felt proud as we all danced around. Eventually, I saw Kenickie and I couldn't believe who he was with, either.

"Hey, Zuko! Zuke!" Kenickie said, getting Danny's attention. Frenchy gave me a sad smile and I shrugged it off, looking every where but Kenickie. "I want you to meet Cha Cha di Gregorio." He said, and I felt eyes in me, so I turned slightly to Kenickie, who gave me a tiny, flirty smirk. "How you doing, Zuko baby?" Cha Cha asked and Danny turned away, managing a "fine".

"Who is she?" Doody asked. "They call me Cha Cha, 'cause I'm the best dancer at St Bernadette's." She said, proudly. "With the worst reputation." Frenchy mumbled to me, making sure it was loud enough for Cha Cha to hear, which made her turn with a slight glare.

Kenickie still looked at me and I shrugged it off, walking away. I stood out most of the time, except when Putzie pulled me out and tried to get me involved, but I just wasn't feeling it.

He made me go down the dance line at least once before letting me go, knowing something was off. Before long, we all crowded the stage, I listened, but was completely somewhere else. Kenickie looked pretty freaking great and it only depressed me more.

Once the contest started, I was past around between Doody and Putzie, and honestly, it was fun. They had me laughing and eventually, I was tapped on the shoulder, I didn't mind.

I watched Kenickie and Cha Cha and sighed, my eyes widening when I saw Kenickie go for the guy Rizzo brought. He only danced dirtier after that, so I left quickly, cursing myself for parking so far off.

Just before I made it to my car, I heard running footsteps and someone calling my name. I turned and saw Kenickie, incredibly sweaty. "Hey, where ya going?"

I stared at him, feeling a tear I tried to hold role down my face. "I'm going home." I say, opening my door. "Wait, James, what's the matter?" He asked, actually concerned. "I don't want to talk, Kenickie, leave me alone."

He grabbed my arm gently before I got in and I sighed, "James, what'd I do?" He asked, quietly. I shook my hand and gently took my arm from his hold, "I need some time." I say, getting in and starting the engine.

He stood in my review for some time and I finally broke down in the car, unable to keep the heart break in any longer.

•••

I have a face claim for Lilly-Mae! Her name is Liana Liberato. Since I watched the movie, The Best of Me, this is who I picture being Lilly-Mae! Also, I've attached a picture of her dress, which I happen to freaking adore!

 Since I watched the movie, The Best of Me, this is who I picture being Lilly-Mae! Also, I've attached a picture of her dress, which I happen to freaking adore!

{officially edited March 23, 2018}