•Greased Lightning•

|Lilly-Mae|

I stared at the huge dent in Kenickie's car, amused. "It's not funny, James." He sighed, glaring at me. I hold my hands up in surrender, "I'm not laughing."

"We just have to bang out the dent." Kenickie said. "The problem's not in the dent, it's this rubber-band engine." Doody said, smirking at me. "The problem's your mouth." Kenickie fired back, combing his hair. "Where you gonna get a carburettor?" Putzie asked. "Ever heard of borrowing?" Kenickie said, as if it were obvious. "Kenickie, you got any Scotch tape?" Sonny teased.

"Hey, big stuff. What do you drive, huh?" Danny asked him, "I drive." Sonny said, shrugging."Yeah? How about you?" He turned to Putzie, "Who, me?"

"Yeah." Danny said, and Putzie looked embarrassed "well what about Doody?" He said. "Well, I... Well, what about James? She bums rides!"

"But I have a car, it's not as bad as this hunk of junk, but it's a hunk of junk." I say, shrugging. "That's what I thought." Danny said, irritated. "C'mon, guys. This car could be a major piece of machinery. This car could be systematic, hydromatic, ultramatic, even." He said, looking at all of us. "Why, it could be Greased Lightning." He said.

I sat back and watched the group walk around the car, almost as if they were dancing, while talking about the plans for the car and everything it would need. By the time they were finished, they were posing on top of the car.

I stared at them, wondering what in the world they had been thinking. Once everyone hopped down, Kenickie looked at me, "what're you even doin' here?"

"I know something about fixing up cars, I can help." I shrug. He laughed, "yeah I bet. I don't need your help." I glared at him, "by the looks of this road hazard, you'll need all the help you can get." I stand up, not wanting to take his crap sitting down.

"If I wanted your help, dollface, I'd ask ya for it." He said, staring down at me. "Kenickie, c'mon man, lay off." I heard Putzie said. I couldn't help but think that he was so much more handsome up close. I stepped back and looked away, hoping my cheeks weren't as hot as they felt. "She's not hurting anyone." Doody said, also coming to my rescue.

"She gets in the way, she's outta here." Kenickie spat. I sighed, what did I do to him? He's hated me from day one.

I never hated him, though. In fact, I almost found him very charming and handsome. He'd probably be even greater if he would realize that I'm not doing anything wrong.

••••

"Look, about Kenickie-" Putzie began but I cut him off, "you don't have to apologize for him or anything. He can do that on his own. I gotta go, though. I'll see you around, Putz." I mumbled, running down the hall. School was out and I was actually ready to leave. I decided today's the day I'm gonna start working on the car. It'll help get my mind off things.

Once I made it home, I ran to my room to change, and then went back to to the garage. I left the door open, so I could play my music and hopefully get on mom's nerves.

I started by dusting her off, she had more dust on her than she did pant. I opened dad's book and looked at his list, it'd been a while since we'd worked on it, so I'd have to check all the wires we redone in and under the car.

I was under the car when, over the music, I faintly heard mom talking. I roll myself out, and I saw her leading Danny, Doody, Putzie and Sonny in. I smiled and wiped my hands, "where's your gang leader?"

"We wanted to talk to you separately." Danny said, plopping down beside me. "Nice wheels." He said. I nodded, "she will be."

"Anyway, we just wanted to come by and apologize." Doody said. I sighed, "look, guys, I already told Putzie, Kenickie will have to apologize. You guys don't have to. He's a big boy." I looked at them, "why does he hate me so much anyway, Danny?"

"He doesn't hate you, James. He's got a rep, and an ego." Danny replied. "Like you?" I ask and he sighed, "I feel awful for what I did to Sandy." He admitted, quietly. "Think Kenickie feels awful for everything he's said to me?" I wonder, though I doubted it.

"He might. Just give him time. He'll come around. We got your back until then." Doody smiled.

I sighed, "I couldn't ask that. You were all friends before me."

"You didn't have to. So what do we got here?" Danny said, hopping up. I sighed, "the poor thing, I was just checking the things my dad and I already did. I do know a little about cars, but I'll need some help."

"Well, let's see what we're dealin' with dollface." He lifts up the hood, but things didn't look so bad. We spent about an hour working on the car, and I had a blast.

The only thing I lacked now was a new transmission. "Get you a transmission and we'll put it in, I think other than a pant job, you'll be good to go." Danny said and I nodded, "thanks guys, I would've been out here forever. I'll get what we need today and we can finish tomorrow?" I ask and they nod.

"James, your mother has dinner ready." Scott said. I nod and show the guys out of the garage. I smile as they walk away. I stare at my car and sigh, happily.

I walk in and wash my hands. "Who were they, honey?" Mom asked me, while they sat at the table. "Just friends from school." I grab my plate and glass and walk upstairs, not wanting the painfully boring dinner time conversion.

•••

Later that night, when I was sure everyone was in bed, I tip-toed downstairs and into the garage. I turned the light on and I sat in the driver's seat.

"You got school tomorrow, kiddo." Cody's voice brought me from my thoughts. I don't reply as he crawls in the passenger side, and to me, it felt like salt on a wound. "You know, there's been so many times I've wanted to come work on this car, it's too beautiful to be sitting here. But I know it's not my place, too."

I try not to look at him, and he sighed, "look, we haven't spoken a word to each other and I know you're more than happy to keep it that way, but your mom, she's tore up. I get why you're angry with us, I know I'd be. But you're not being very fair." He said, carefully.

"Neither one of you were fair to dad." I say, coldly. He nodded, "I know that. James, there's still a lot you don't know."

"Is this your idea of small talk? 'A heart to heart with my dear ole step daughter?' Because if it is, your social skills need some work." I say, finally looking at him. He rubs his eyes, sighing, "I'm trying to be patient with you, Lilly-Mae, but you're making it so much harder than it should be. I don't know how to handle a daughter, I got a son, a brilliant son who looks at you like his older sister and he looks at your mom like his own. We're all trying here, basically walking on eggshells and you keep pushing us away."

I laughat him, not knowing what to say. I was angry, I was upset, I wanted to cry but I also wanted to scream and to yell all in his face. "I'm not trying to replace your father, but Scott and I know what it's like to lose someone like you and your mother lost your dad. Scott's mom died during his child birth, Lilly-Mae. I knew how to comfort your mother."

"She should've been comforting me." I snap, not wanting to cry in front of him. He sighed, "she regrets not being there for you, Lilly-Mae."

"Just go, please. I need to be alone with my dad's car." I cross my arms and hold myself. "You are like my daughter, Lilly-Mae." He said before leaving me alone in the garage.

When the door shuts, I lean the seat back and let out all of the emotions I'd been holding. From Kenickie's comments to my dad's passing and everything in between.

By the time I let it all out, I didn't have enough energy to walk back to my bedroom, so I just curled up and fell asleep where I felt most at home.

With my dad's car, in the leather jacket he bought me.

•••

{officially edited March 23, 2018}