Chapter 9

I'm scared. No. I'm terrified.

The image of me and Mr. Luciano keep flashing before my eyes. The clarity of the photo had me on edge.

How could the person had taken a photo so clear if they weren't inside my house.

That is the thought that plagued my mind. Someone broke into my house. I gulped back down the rising fear.

Why would someone do this?

Pink hair.

Pink hair.

Pink hair.

Aaliyah... All day I've been avoiding her. Why? Pink hair. The person who left the envelope had pink hair, she knows where I live and where my spare key is. I refuse to believe it but all the signs point back to her.

But, why?

She's my friend, the only friend that I ever had.

My mom and I always kept to ourselves, she said that it was better that way. I didn't understand at the time but I did what I was told.

All day at work I've been jittery, anyone that would touch me I would flinch away or let out a small scream.

Aaliyah was watching me intently, anytime I would catch her eyes I would walk the other direction. She invited me to lunch with her but I politely declined.

Instead, I called Bradley and invited him out to lunch which he agreed to.

We were seated at a table in the corner, the waiter placed our meal in front of us before walking away to another table.

Taking a big bite out of my cheese burger, humming when the cheese touched my tongue, "It's safe to say that you like cheese." Bradley commented. I nooded my head and swallowed the food that was in my mouth, taking a sip from my cola.

Me and Bradley just ate and caught up with each other. Bradley excused himself to go to the bathroom and when I looked out of the glass, in the dark alleyway beside the library, I saw someone in a black wood covering most of their face but pink hair flowed from under the wood to the person chest.

The person waved at me and that is when my heart started hammering in my chest out of fear.

A hand was suddenly placed on my shoulder and a scream rippled from my lips. Turning around to see who the person was, my hand clutching my chest where my racing lay beneath going a crazy.

Bradley looked down at me with concern in his eyes. "I'm fine, I'm fine", I reassured him when I saw the uncertainty in his eyes.

He payed for our meal and ushered me outside where I saw the homeless man. He looked up and smiled at me, and I smiled back. Going back in the diner I ordered two large burgers and fries, I payed and collected the bag going back outside.

When I stooped down and handed him the bag I saw tears forming in his eyes. I took and extra 10 dollar bill and gave him it. "No, my child, I cannot take your money I still have some change from what you have given me before."

A tear slipped from his eye and I wiped it away, "Please don't cry Sir," I said holding his hand in mine, "Everything will be alright." I smiled.

"Bless you, my child."

I smiled once more before crossing the street with Bradley. "You have a heart of gold you know."

"I just don't like seeing them on the street, that's all."

He pulled me into a hug and place a kiss on my forehead, "I'll pick you up later okay."

"Okay." I said turning back into the store only to run right into Aaliyah. "I'm sorry", I said hurriedly so that I could get far away from her but in the back of my mind a nagging voice was saying that I got it all wrong.