Chapter 1 ~ War and Emptiness

'You see, I have this subordinate named Eren.' Levi began just as he had done for the last three days that Eren had been away. He had been in the medical ward for four days now, initially being admitted by Eren for 'odd behaviour'. The source was still unknown. Hanji had talked to Levi the first two days and had since given up, it was so unlike Hanji to give up but the empty look in Levi's eyes had driven her away. It scared her and not much did. The look had even set Erwin on edge. Levi looked empty. Not uncaring, as he usually did, he just looked empty- as if he didn't realise his own existence. He was unaware and his answers were vague as if he wasn't quite aware of who he was talking to or if he was talking to anyone at all.

'I know, honey.' Hanji answered as she took another blood sample using her lengthy syringe which was protruding from Levi's arm. She pulled it out timidly and Levi didn't even wince. Had he lost all sensation? That was another possibility to add to the increasingly large list which now covered two pages of her notebook.

'Eren should be back tomorrow.' He stated numbly, his hair glistening in the sunlight whilst his eyes reflected nothing but darkness.

'He's back today, sweetheart.' Hanji murmured, leaning her head on his shoulder, sitting next to him on the creaky hospital bed. Levi didn't notice that she had spoken, well, she saw no signs of a reaction. She couldn't be sure. Levi was usually nonchalant to all of his surroundings, meaning he often looked bored. But, bored and empty are two very different things. Levi cared, maybe more than anyone, he had seen more people die than most would see in multiple lifetimes. It had only caused him to retreat into his shell, though, whilst it had caused Hanji to go rather loopy.

War did things to people that were unexpected but what Hanji never expected was this. She had seen many medical conditions since she had moved the hospital wing but never this. This wasn't PTSD nor was it related to trauma at all. It was as if that shell he had retreated into had ridden itself of him. He was only his body now, his mind was blank.

'I said he's back today, now even.' Hanji said again, glancing at the clock. Levi's eyes lit up for just a millisecond before the light was snuffed out again and so was Hanji's hope.

The familiar sound of hooves began to ring throughout the rickety building; Eren was back. Hanji smiled gently. If anyone could fix Levi, it would be Eren. Hanji made her way off the bed and out of the room, taking one last glance at Levi. 'You know I have this subordinate named Eren.' He said again as if he hadn't said it before. Hanji nodded, defeated.

'I know, Levi, I know.' She sighed before leaving for good, deserting Levi in the dark, damp medical wing. The place itself was not suitable for the purpose of healing but it worked well to dump dying soldiers until their final moments. That was all it was used for except for the few occasions where Hanji used it for research. Levi was the first real sick patient they had that wasn't either dying or dead. The thought itself was morbid but honest- there was no escaping death.

'Levi!' Came a thrilled shriek of that little boy named Eren. Eren had admired Levi for so long and when the Captain had finally confirmed both of their feelings with a kiss, all was right in the world. Until three days ago. Three days ago Levi had woken up and had acted as if he didn't know that Eren was, well, Eren. He talked about Eren to the boy himself as if he wasn't right in front of him. It had struck fear not only into Eren but to the rest of his close circle too. Something was wrong, terribly wrong. But, Eren believed it would be fixed by now. All would be fine. He was wrong.

Eren came running into the medical ward where he was told Levi would be and ran up to him, hugging him tightly. Levi had frozen at this point and had not said a word. Eren pulled back, worry etched on his face. 'Levi?' He asked, adding no more. Levi looked at the man blankly and Eren knew that he had been wrong, nothing had been fixed. This was happening again.

Levi finally met Eren's eyes with a look as eerie as the darkness of the night. 'You know, I have this subordinate named Eren.' That was the moment Eren broke. He could feel it as if it were a fracture to his bone. He felt the immense pain hit him with a single wave, a tsunami.

Eren ran. He couldn't do anything but run. He wasn't sure where he was running to but he ran anyway. He felt as if his hopes and dreams had been crushed in a single line.

Eren found himself running faster and with more purpose. He had to find Hanji. It was his one and only aim now. Reach Hanji and ask her what the hell was going on. And, within a few seconds, he had found her room: the door wide open with Hanji inside.

Hanji wasn't herself that day. She sat on her bed, her head in her hands and small whimpers coming from her mouth. 'Hanji?' Eren asked, warily, stepping inside. She shook her head and looked up at him with bloodshot eyes.

'I don't know what's wrong with Levi. He looks empty and I can't do anything.' She whimpered and Eren, more confident, sat next to her and rested his head on her shoulder. 'I know how you feel.' He gazed up at her. 'But, we have to try everything. This must be a new disease but your Hanji Zoe, if anything, you can find out what it is.' Eren smiled reassuringly and Hanji nodded, a smile now on her face. But, contradictory to normal, the smile was weak and it wasn't as crazed. She looked calm and thoughtful and Eren couldn't help but feel that the look suited Hanji more than the crazed scientist that had some even crazier friends.

'For now, let's just look after him, huh?' Eren smiled and Hanji looked down at him, nodding.

'It's the only thing we can do.'

word count: 1081

published: 21.03.17