Chapter 3 ~ Memory and Forgetfulness

A/N Sorry that this is so repetitive. This is still in the third person but based around Levi so his thoughts go around in circles a lot. Hope you enjoy!

Levi couldn't seem to remember a thing. His memory was as blurred as the world around him. One moment he would remember who he was, what he did but he struggled in even that. He felt as if he had suffered memory loss yet that couldn't be it. He remembered some things so vividly. He remembered Eren so vividly. His bright sea, blue eyes. He remembered them. He wished he would come back, he had been so long. He was supposed to be back soon. Yet, hadn't he been saying that for a while now? No, he hadn't. He was clear on that.

He wondered where that boy ran off to, the brat. He just left him in a wheelchair out on the grounds. Levi scowled but made no attempts at moving and just folded his arms and waited. Waited for Eren to come back.

He never did and, an hour later, Levi still hadn't moved. His arms were tensed and his scowl was now engraved on his face. That brat, he thought, tapping his foot. He should have stood up and walked back an hour ago but the thought never crossed Levi's mind. In this state, he had lost all independence.

'Levi!' He heard a call but paid no attention to it. Was he Levi? Maybe, he didn't remember anymore. No, he was Levi, he definitely was. But, he still didn't turn around. He didn't realise he had to turn around. He had lost his social etiquette. He didn't know that when someone called your name, it was normal to turn to them. He had lost his sense of norm.

He was just there, now, and he did nothing about it.

He was no longer humanity's strongest, he was humanity's weakest. He was frail, forgetful and dependent. He had almost reverted back to a child. 'Levi!' That voice came again, this time he did move but, not in the way he was supposed to. He stood up but his legs were too shaky, he hadn't used them in days. He fell backwards, lucky to land back in the wheelchair just as a woman, with brown hair and thick-framed glasses, appeared in front of him. She smiled yet it was so solemn, he couldn't find it within himself to smile back.

Who was this woman, anyway? She looked crazed and Levi couldn't see him having any relationship, friendship or otherwise, with anyone of the sorts. But, it was clear, that she thought that they were close. Why did he not remember? He had no injuries, did he? Nothing had happened to him. So why, all of a sudden, did he feel as if a chunk of his life could be taken away.

In fact, now that he thought about it, this woman reminded me of his friend Hanji. He wondered were Hanji was- most likely doing experiments, the crazy old bat. 'Time to take you back, Levi.' The woman smiled another kind smile- no matter how fake it was- and began to wheel him back inside. Levi wallowed in the warmth as it enwrapped him- the doors now shut behind him.

The woman began to talk but he paid no attention. He paid attention to the details of the building, instead. He didn't remember this place either. How had he got here? He thought he lived in the underground, that was where his home was, was it not? Had he moved since then? The questions were as blurred as his thoughts around him.

Everything was blurred.

It was the best description, he found. No matter how clearly he saw, it was all blurred. The memories that every object should bring, brought nothing. It was as if he were made and not born. It was as if he had been placed down to be noticed but not take notice of anything else. He was lost in a world of blur and he had no way out of it.

There was no cure.

Levi focused his eyes again on seeing the crazed woman opening the door and wheeling him through. It was the medical centre, he knew that much. 'You know, I have a subordinate named Eren.' He began, trying to begin a conversation. The woman only answered with the same answer he had heard so many times before, each time by the boy with the sea green eyes. 'I know.' Levi sighed but smiled at the thought of Eren. He wanted him back, he had been gone so long. How long had it been?

'Levi, you need rest. Would you be able to lie down for me.' She said as she brought me onto the bed, my body upright and tense. I nodded feebly and lay down gently on my back, my eyes trailing to the ceiling. It was dull, made of rocks that could fall and crumble at any moment but Levi didn't care, he had something to watch- something to entertain himself. It seemed trivial that a thing such as a ceiling could entice a man so much but Levi was in no normal state of mind. This could be a daily routine for him and he would still be excited at the prospect of memorising the lines of the roof.

What a dull life his had become.

Humanity's strongest had become humanity's most boring. He was dismal, boring and grim. He was closer to reverting back to his old self, though. The grouchy man in his mid-thirties who had no time for happiness. Not that anyone did, in the army that is.

Levi found himself losing consciousness rather quickly. And, as he closed his eyes, he forgot the thoughts of the bland ceiling and he let his mind wander. Yet, it didn't seem to go very far. He found himself trapped within a memory. It was a memory of Eren. He smiled, now asleep, watched by Hanji who was almost asleep herself. 'You'll come back one day, I know you will.' She reassured herself, a stray tear wiped hastily from her cheek. She hated crying, she had no fear. But, this was her best friend. Her best friend who didn't know who she was. They were like family. Who forgot family?

It seemed he had and there was no point in trying to change it. The ones around Levi would just have to adjust, that was how life would be. 'You know, I have a subordinate named Eren.' Hanji heard Levi mumble in his sleep. She laughed emptily and rested her head back. Maybe, just maybe, he would wake up fine tomorrow.

word count: 1106

published: 01.04.17