Chapter 5 ~ Disease and Illness

Eren left only when Hanji dragged him out the door with promises that he could return later. Eren, despite the dismissal, was doubtful in leaving Hanji and Levi in a room together. With his memory miraculously intact and a crazy woman in his room, I felt like he might just slip away again. Eren, either way, returned to his room in silence, his cheeks still tear-stained but a smile permanently etched on his face.

Hanji, unlike Eren, was beaming. Her face represented pride and glee all in one. Levi looked at her with disdain, and a tinge of fear, as she bounded around the hospital wing, gathering heaps of paper before throwing them towards Levi as if he were to catch them.

Of course, he didn't. The paper fluttered around the room, catching the air like feathers before scattering around the room, showing notes upon notes about Levi's condition. 'What is this?' He breathed, his voice catching the wind, muffled by the racket of the shaking windows as the breeze flew by.

'Notes. On your condition, Levi.' Hanji smiled, collecting a few closest to her, making sure not to tear the few under her feet as she stepped around the room.

'Condition?' His face contorted into a look of confusion as he scanned the room, trying to pick up words from the pages but finding nothing but a blur of black. Damn Hanji and her awful handwriting. It was no more than a swirl and a dot on a page, mixed together with some curved lines that could represent any of ten letters of the alphabet.

'You really don't remember much, do you? I'm not sure what Eren has told you but I'm sure it wasn't much- he has no idea what is happening in that head of yours, mister.' She joked, trying to keep her mood light before his face dropped and a grey cloud hung low above their heads.

The rain began to patter against the already rattling window as Hanji made her way to his bedside, sitting on the stool Eren had just slept on and leant in the same position as he had.

'You have what some call Dementia, Levi. It's rare or at least it is among people of your age, it's more common of people in their fifties and above, not that many live to that age, and it can have life-threatening side-effects.' Her face dropped further as she saw Levi's face twist from one of confusion to one of utter disbelief.

'That's not possible. What are the side-effects, Hanji.' He whispered, his voice shaky as much as his legs were when he made an attempt to stand, only to fall back on the bed again. There was no movement that could relieve the stress from his bones, it was all too forceful. He felt as if bricks had been stacked on his back. He had an illness. He wasn't going to die in battle. He was going to die of a bloody illness.

'I don't think you want to-'

'Tell me what the side effects are, Hanji!' He roared, his voice echoing around the vacant building. Levi rarely raised his voice but he was scared. He wasn't scared of much but in this instance, he was terrified. The woman flinched but stood her ground, tears springing to her eyes but never spilling. They were soldiers, they would never let the tears spill.

Levi's fear was soon replaced with nonchalance as Hanji explained the side-effects. Many were unknown and for the ones that were, it was unclear of just how they worked or how they affected the body. Memory loss seemed to be a key feature yet it wasn't permanent nor was it memory loss. Just as had been displayed by Levi, he had known of Eren, he had known everything about Eren, yet, when he had seen the boy, he had failed in identifying him.

The illness was no more than life-destroyer. It was deadly to a soldier- could cause them to forget to even fight when in the battlefield. It could stop them from moving. It could stop them from living. It was doing all in one to Levi.

Levi, despite his shaking body, still looked uncaring- disinterested. Hanji began to fear what was running through the corporal's mind. What he was hiding from the world. Locked up emotions were the strongest. Yet, she felt as if she could trust Eren to deal with the side-effects.

No matter how close they were, Hanji and Levi's friendship was one of banter and not open emotions. Not even Erwin and Levi had gotten to that stage. They had revealed to emotions to each other, yes, yet they had never shown them. Their faces always remained blank, impassive.

'I need to talk to Erwin. We don't know how this will affect you in battle yet. Can you wait here for me to return?' Levi nodded, his face still blank yet his eyes fearful as if a beast had flung itself at him and he could no longer move.

Hanji, with no more words, left the room, her crazed look faded by a mask of sadness. This illness would not only affect Levi. Like any disease, it affected the people around the culprit almost as much as it did the victim.

Levi scoffed at the thought of staying put but made sure to wait minutes before attempting to stand up. Despite many fails of making it onto his own two feet, he managed to stand and after days in a wheelchair, he finally felt free of the bounds of the wheels- no matter how blurred the events that happened whilst he sat in it were.

With one last look out of the rain-battered windows, he left the medical wing and meandered around the corridors until he found the place he wanted. He hadn't been interrupted by a soul and for that he was thankful. He only had one person he would like to talk to and that was Eren.

Eren was the one he could talk to because Eren was the only one he trusted.

word count: 1001

published: 07.04.17