The Sapphire

King Dorephan was a grateful man. He always wanted what was best for his people, cherished his friends and family, and treated everyone with equal respect. His son was a bit of a handful, though. Not because he was selfish or spoiled, but because all he wanted to do was help. The king just wanted to spend time with his son, but it seemed like Sidon was so fixated on his duty that he didn't seem interested in anything else. In this situation, the apple fell far away from the tree.

One fine evening, the prince decided to have a genuine conversation with his father, which confused Dorephan but he was pleased that his son wanted to spend time with him. He invited him to eat a nice dinner at the throne, which the king didn't dare to touch the food when he was on his diet. He just drank some water and let Muzu eat it instead.

"Now, what do you want to talk about, son? We have quite a lot to catch up on," The king chuckled, folding his hands to look more comfortable.

Sidon stared into his glass of wine shyly, not feeling like drinking alcohol. The prince didn't like to drink much. Of course, his father didn't know that because he barely communicated with him. "Actually, father, I set up this dinner so I could talk to you about something important."

"Ah," Dorephan nodded, a bit disappointed. He thought for once that boy wasn't thinking about him being prince. "Go on, then."

"I'm planning on giving my Sapphire to someone," Sidon smiled. "Someone that has grown very dear to me in the past years."

Dorephan was astonished. He didn't expect the important thing Sidon was talking about was this! He'd have to call the wedding arrangements in, and the old priest. Though the king wondered who this mysterious lover of his son was. That person must've been really good to be able to warm his heart away from his royalty.

"That's great, son! I'm so happy that you've found the right person."

Sidon beamed in return, but didn't say much afterwards.

As the younger Zora finished his meal, they talked a bit about what was going on in the Domain, but it was really just Dorephan instigating the conversation and Sidon just nodding along.

After what seemed like an eternity, Sidon went to the back room to grab something. He held the golden memoir with a blue crystal in his hands, handling it with utmost care.

"Wait, son! Where are you going now? It's half-past midnight," the king asked with haste, unsure of what Sidon was up to.

"I'm giving them the Sapphire. The wedding can take as long as it needs, father," the prince laughed before walking gracefully towards the inn.

•••

"Link, Link, wake up," the prince whispered, gently shaking Link's slumbering body. The Zora had spent a few minutes just looking at his snoozing face, drool dripping out of his mouth as his jaw hung open, soft sniffy snores, and his hair messed up in every direction possible. Sidon thought he was flawless, even then.

Link fidgeted, and then woke up, stretching his arms.

"What is it...?" The Hylian groggily grumbled, obviously too distraught by lack of sleep than anything.

Sidon grabbed Link's hand and pulled him out of bed, dragging the cold and exhausted Hylian to the top of Zora's Domain. Once they got there, he sat down on the ledge, and soon after Link followed, unsure of what else to do.

"So-- what'd you bring me her for?" Link looked over, blinking.

"O-oh, yes, um, that," Sidon stuttered, extremely nervous to be doing this. He shakily pulled the Zora's sapphire out of his satchel. Link's blue eyes glittered in it's vibrant glow, and it just made the short man even more discombobulated.

"Link... you know you are my most treasured friend." Link nodded. "Do you know what this sapphire means?" Sidon asked.

"No," he sighed. "Is it like a friendship bracelet?"

Sidon giggled at his innocence. He admired his adorable essence. "No, it's more like what you call an engagement ring."

The Champion's eyes widened. "An engagement ring?! Like... for marriage?!" He squeaked, which made Sidon wince. Link didn't look very appreciative of the gift anymore.

"Yes. I have chosen that we must wed soon. The preparations for the ceremony are being done," Sidon demanded, and putting the Zora's Sapphire in Link's other hand, pulled his new fiancé past the throne room, where the king was sleeping soundly. Link stuttered profusely, trying to explain that Sidon had it all wrong, but no amount of convincing would make the prince let go of Link.

Sidon was finally at peace. He had finally found the man of his dreams, or so he thought.