Blue

Tomorrow is the wedding. Link's pleasant dreams turned into nerve-wracking nightmares upon this realization. His brain was corrupted with visions of confusion, regret, and pain. The skin on his arms curled in as he squirmed in his slumber.

A gentle tapping, a warm embrace. Link's nerves began to loosen again. His muscles relaxed into the warmness against his back. His mind was filled with happiness, excitement, and tranquility.

Today is the wedding.

~

"Now Esther, you need to work with me here! I know you're a little shy, but could I at least help you zip the dress?"

Link peeked through the curtain, concealing the rest of his body. "Nope! I'm fine, promise!"

Kodah crossed her arms irritably. "Please, your Majesty. That dress was specifically embroidered for your wedding today. If you rip it, we won't be able to replace it!"

Link gritted his teeth. He was in a bit of a dilemma. If he let her in, she would find out about his identity. But if he didn't, there was a very high chance that he would rip the dress trying to get it on himself. Man, Zora clothing was tight as hell.

While Link was busy thinking away, someone pushed themselves into his changing stall without notice. But when Link did notice, his spine went stiff. His eyes widened.

His mind was racing, and all he could think of to react was to push Kodah to the ground and hide in the corner of the stall. When the Zora got up, she asked him, "What was that for?"

He curled up even tighter, his throat closing up in refusal towards the woman. He shut his eyes in hope she would just walk away. She knows! She knows...

"Esther, please stand up. I forgive you for pushing me, but you really need to cooperate," she held out a gentle hand in front of Link's despondent face, and Link slowly took it, befuddled. She doesn't know?

"I... uh, sorry... I just like my privacy. Could you... uh please just help me with the zipper and try not to look?" Link was a little flustered, but hoped to the goddesses that she wouldn't notice anything off at this point.

"Of course I will respect your privacy, Your Highness," she nodded and got to work fixing his zipper. He felt the chill of the metal against his spine as she zipped up the tight yet well-fitted dress. She lifted up his chin in order to let Link take a look at himself in the mirror.

Honestly, Link wasn't much for dresses. For one, he was a guy — though some guys do like to dress up a little — but also, he preferred his travel clothes, as they were more comfortable and an easier fit. So when he looked into the mirror, he wasn't expecting much — but this dress? It took his breath away. The dark blue scales that adorned the skirt and the cerulean silk that covered his (very flat) bosom was covered in silver rhinestones that reflected off the light above him astonished him.

Just as he was staring at himself for who knows how long, (how narcissistic!) Kodah spoke Link's thoughts out loud. "Princess Esther, you look beautiful in that dress."

Esther. How could I forget? Link pondered as he forgot to respond to her compliment. He often did this when he was confused. What was Link confused about now? Possibly the fact that he didn't feel like Link at all in this outfit. He felt like a completely different person that didn't even exist. He was a lost piece to a puzzle that could never be completed. In this dress, he felt like Esther, a fantasy made up by him and his so-called fiancé.

Then again, why does he need to wear this? Surely, the Zora were a more open race to diversity of culture than any other around Hyrule at the time. They would most likely be content with something a little bit different to their typical royal family. Plus, the plan could only go so far. There is no way Link and Sidon could produce an heir of their own. The royal bloodline would end with Sidon. If they needed an heir, they would have to adopt, find a surrogate mother, or choose someone out of the crowd they deem most worthy to take over the throne when they're gone. And still, Link would have to play off as a woman the entire time. Does he really want to live through that? If Sidon really wanted to marry him when Link was dressed as a woman for the acceptance of others and the ability to be king, it simply wouldn't work. All of the reasons they would need to pretend to be a straight couple are complete hogwash when you put it into perspective.

Link scratched at the floor. His thoughts were taking over again, and he began to mentally panic. What if Sidon was just using him as a tool so he could just get married in oreder to become king? What if this wedding was only for Sidon to stop getting love letters from all the Zora girls who won't stop asking him for his hand in marriage? What if all of this was a farce and Sidon didn't love him at all? Link's breathing suddenly became very heavy and anxious tears started rolling down his cheeks.

He must have forgotten where he was because Kodah gently tapped his shoulder. "I know the wedding day can be very stressful, but listen to me. Prince Sidon could have chosen to marry anyone in the world, and he chose you. He really loves you. I'm sure the both of you will make a wonderful couple, and future King and Queen of the Zoras. What is it that's worrying you?"

Her comforting words and the soft rubs of her hand on my back were enough to calm Link down a little bit enough to tell her how he was feeling. He decided to tell it to her straight; there was no way he could bottle up his feelings forever. "Sidon's never going to love me enough to stay with me forever. I mean, I can't even have children. How could I provide to the royal family in any way?" Link started fiddling his fingers and had a sudden interest in the ground.

Kodah's eyebrows lowered in concern. "Esther... I'm sorry you have to go through that. But your purpose as Queen is much more vast than just giving birth to an heir. So what if you can't have children? There are several alternatives to get an heir to the throne. Your duty as Queen is to keep the spirit and life of the kingdom alive, and to keep the King in line as well as help him with many of his duties. I think you already fulfill those duties very well, so don't worry about having to change yourself to be a good Queen. Everyone already loves you, Esther, no matter how eligible you are to do something."

How is she so... kind? Link thought, as he smiled at her. "Yeah, maybe you're right," he agreed, getting up to leave. "Thank you so much, Kodah."

"Anytime," she responded with a friendly smirk. "Good luck with the wedding. I'm sure will be incredible. And even if it isn't, don't fret. It's just one time, right?"

"Right." Before leaving, Link paused and turned around to say one more thing. "Also, the dress is breath-taking. Very... blue."

"Thanks," she giggled, "Thought it'd look nice to match your eye color. Guess I was right!"

Yes, she was. Link closed the door of the dressing room behind him. I guess blue really is my color.