Goodbye

Death was something Link was very familiar with, as he had experienced it in his own lifetime. Death was something nobody could survive, something inevitable that only a select few would be able to escape. When someone died, everyone was mourning, especially those who meant a lot to you.

So when the assassination of King Dorephan came around the next day, Zora's Domain was both the most noiseless and grievous place in Hyrule. Not a single smile was found throughout the day.

The most overpowering emotion that came out of the king's death was the note that was found next to King Dorephan's corpse.

"You side with the Champion, you face our wrath. Beware, the eye of the Yiga."

Link knew who it was from and he was worried, and because of that he decided to stay a little longer, partially because he unconditionally loved Sidon of course, but to help the people of Zora's Domain. He would need to help the prince, though, who refused even to speak to Link, which Link didn't mind, but was much out of character.

The king's funeral was even more full of emptiness and sorrow, Link wearing a long black gown and veil and Sidon still refusing to speak. Link payed his respects to the late king, telling him how much his son loved him even though he didn't show it, and how Link would always be friends with Sidon, no matter what he did, and would stay by his side whenever he needed someone there for him.

-

Weeks after the funeral, Link had helped the people pay more attention to keeping themselves safe, expressing that the guards should focus on their training as much as possible. He took the place of the king instead of Sidon, and people told him how amazing he would be as queen. It was weird at first until he realized, oh, yeah, he's disguised as a woman.

It wasn't until a week after that – that Sidon spoke again.

"I'm sorry," he whispered one night, his voice cracking from the misuse of it after such a long time. Link looked towards him, up from the book he was reading, and raised an eyebrow in confusion. Sidon continued. "I'm sorry that I didn't do anything, that I just sat in here crying like a baby, when I should've been helping you and my people. I was just being lazy and you did everything. It's not fair-"

"Sidon," Sidon halted, sighing as he noticed he was rambling. "You," Link continued, "are in a very difficult situation right now. Nobody could understand your pain except you. So please, don't apologize for something you can't control."

"Link... Thank you," the prince said, drifting off to sleep. Link shut off the lamp and eventually went to sleep as well.

"You're welcome, friend."