[스물 둘] See What I've Become

"He was one of the good things, too."

~Maggie Greene (Rhee)

"This is a nice change of scenery," Glenn mocked, examining the cell in front of them.

"It's a prison cell," Rick cast a weary look towards the other man.

"I was being sarcastic," Glenn glowered. His eyes were growing darker as each second passed. "So am I supposed to live my life here? As one prisoner to another?"

"No, I want to meet with the council to discuss a sentence. It won't be a life sentence or anything like that. It'll be one that fits the crime. I plan to have you in here a few yea-"

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW?" Glenn lunged at Rick, punching him in the teeth. Instantly, Rick's mouth started to bleed.

"THE ONE WHO SHOULD BE LOCKED UP IS YOU! WHAT I DID ISN'T ANY DIFFERENT THAN WHAT YOU DID! THAN WHAT ANYONE HAS DONE!" Glenn never gave Rick the chance to defend himself, continuing to hit him over and over.

"G-Glenn! S-Stop!" Rick blocked his fist, kicking him away. He got up shakily, wiping away the blood on his face.

"THINK ABOUT IT, RICK! I TRIED FIXING THE MESS YOU PUT US IN AS A LEADER! YOU WERE THE ONE WHO THOUGHT WE SHOULD GO TO WAR WITH THE SAVIORS! YOU WERE THE ONE WHO PUT MAGGIE INTO THE RV TO SEE THE DOCTOR AT HILLTOP! WHY? BECAUSE YOU LUSTED AFTER A WOMAN WHO WAS MARRIED TO THE ONLY DOCTOR HERE! YOU WERE THE ONE WHO PROVOKED HIM AND KILLED HIM! Glenn took a step closer to Rick with each sentence he completed, cornering the former. "YOU ARE THE ONE HERE WITH BLOOD ON THEIR HANDS!"

"YOU MIGHT AS WELL HAVE KILLED HER YOURSELF!" Glenn's voice suddenly dropped. "And I should have never made you leader."

Rick's hand reacted before his mind could. He struck Glenn across the cheek, sending him against the wall.

"SHUT UP! YOU DON'T THINK I KNOW THAT?" Rick roared, shoving Glenn with all his might.

"ME BEING HERE IS PROOF YOU DON'T!" Glenn collided his body with Rick's; both tumbling to the ground.

"I'm not- I never meant-" Rick said in-between breaths as he got out of Glenn's grasp. He pushed Glenn once again against the wall, not allowing him to fight back. Rick subdued him, putting enough pain onto the man's body to let it buckle under his restraint. Glenn sank to the floor, sobbing into the palms of his hands. Rick slowly backed away, trying to get out of the cell before Glenn snapped again.

Suddenly, Glenn sprang back up and threw himself at Rick with a look of murder in his eyes. Rick slammed the cell door shut just as Glenn's fingers reached the bars. He latched onto the bars and shook them with a violent fury as Rick locked the cell.

"I'm sorry this happened to you," Rick said somberly, never taking his eyes off Glenn's. Glenn only panted as he saw Rick's tears meet the blood streaks, washing them away.

Rick could only lower his head in shame and overwhelming guilt as he left Glenn in the dark cell.

~

Her walk mimicked one of a walker. Her back was arched; she couldn't stand or hold her head up straight.

The bag around her arm swayed with each heavy step she took. Its contents filled with things that belonged to Alexandria, not to her.

The stretch to the gates seemed like a long one, but she had all the time in the world.

Or maybe she had none. Maybe her time had run out.

It made no difference.

She reached the gate in what seemed like an eternity, using all of her strength to open it. There was no guard and she didn't expect differently.