[스물 넷] Sequence of Events

There were five truths Maiya Rhee had realized since the start of the apocalypse. Each had been at a critical moment in her life.

These truths were forever burned into her mind, shaping her into the person she was today.

~

The boy was being chased by at least a dozen monsters. Sweat was clinging to him in the humid, summer air; his shirt drenched as he ran at full speed from the monsters.

He wasn't sure where to go, running past the abandoned cars that led towards the airport.

His journey at the start of the apocalypse had begun there; it was the only place he knew in this unfamiliar city.

His run came to a halt as he saw the road blocked with huge semi. The monsters were approaching, but he still had enough time to escape. He began climbing on top of a car, trying desperately to continue on to the airport.

He climbed from car to car, finally reaching the semi. He thought he had conquered his last obstacle until he lost his footing.

He landed on his back, knocking the wind out of him. This precious minute of breathlessness had cost him. He could hear their hungry growling right in front of him and he painfully tried to move away. He had his body halfway under the nearest car when the one he had known as Claudia grabbed onto his leg and pulled him back.

He let out a scream that was accompanied by several gunshots. The monsters fell to the ground around him instantly.

The boy panted with fear, looking around at the scene. He immediately looked towards his savior who looked back at him impatiently.

"I wasted good ammo on your ass," She clipped her gun back to her hip. "So quit staring and get up."

"T-Thanks," He finally spoke, casting his teary gaze downwards at "Claudia." He stroked her hair, earning the sigh of the other woman.

"There's no use crying about it. Whoever she was, she's gone now."

"I know... But she was special to me. She was one of the few friends I made... during this whole thing," He sobbed.

The woman looked around worriedly, knowing that there were sure to be more coming. There always was.

"Why? Why did you risk your life to save mine?" The boy remained seated on the road.

"I was trained to protect and defend. I saw someone in danger and I helped. Isn't that what separates us from them?" She nudged a body with her boot.

"Claudia was a good person," The boy stated absentmindedly, continuing to look at the body.

Maiya opened her mouth to retort, but the snarls of approaching monsters forced her to harshly whisper, "We need to go."

The boy looked wide-eyed at her before scurrying up from the road. Maiya shoved another gun into his hand as she reloaded hers.

"I-I don't know how to use this! My brother was the one-"

"Then learn. Your life depends on it now," Maiya started to walk ahead of him, not planning on having this kid tag along with her. But he had other ideas, which Maiya firmly put a stop to, telling him that she had done all she could.

"I don't have anywhere or anyone else to go to. My whole family's probably dead... so are my friends," He explained sadly.

Maiya sighed, knowing she was in the same spot. "Alright. But if you are a burden to my survival, I will not hesitate to ditch you."