[스물 아홉] Children of Blood

"No more kid stuff."

~Carl Grimes

"You cannot leave here. Not while Rick is gone." Gabriel stood alone as he blocked the gate.

"Move. Or we will move you." Netanya raised her trident in a display of her power as her women did the same with their weapons.

"No." Gabriel didn't back down, standing taller in resolution.

Netanya let out a low snarl, pushing the man roughly to the pavement with her trident.

"Someone like you would never understand." Netanya looked down at the former priest in pity. "Let's go. We have wasted enough time here."

As the Oceanside women stormed out of the city, the rest of the Alexandrians hurried to the scene. They made no attempt to stop the women and instead to Father Gabriel's aid. He had a bleeding gash on his head, but other than that he was okay.

"Wherever they go..." Michonne's fingers grazed her katana handle as she watched the vehicles start up and disappear into the distance. "I hope they never come back."

~

"There has to be some other way... We can turn back right now. We can make this work somehow, grandmother. It can get bet-" Cindy started to say before Netanya spoke over her.

"Cindy. Just wait by the cars if you can't do this," Netanya ordered.

Cindy felt hot tears burn her face as she lowered her head in shame. She bit her lip in frustration, watching as her group marched on towards the castle wall.

"Why aren't you with them?" A voice from behind asked, startling the young woman.

"...Jesus? What are you doing here?" Cindy quickly rubbed her eyes free of tears.

"Sorry for scaring you. I planned on using the element of surprise, but it looks like that's ruined now. Anyway, I heard that Rick and Carl were taken here. I volunteered to come check the place out." He paused, taking out his walkie talkie. "Sasha, I'm here. It doesn't look good though. The Oceanside women are also here."

It took a few seconds before Sasha responded on the other end. "Why are they there? What's going on?"

"Cindy's right next to me. The others are heading towards the castle... Why are you here?" He directed the last part at Cindy, but it was still heard over the walkie talkie.

As if on cue, an explosion rocked the perimeter and sent the pair to their feet.

"Jesus! What's happening?!" Sasha's voice yelled over the device.

"T-They're attacking. The women-it's a war zone over here! I have to go!" Jesus quickly put away the walkie talkie and pushed Cindy behind him.

Cindy clutched onto the man's jacket, muttering "no" over and over again in terror.

"Jesus! Are you okay?! Jesus!" Sasha cried out over the walkie talkie, trying to get a visual of what was happening.

But her cries went left unanswered.

~

"Anna! Kiana! Anik! Dallas! Get your rifles ready!" Maiya ordered, striding outside of the castle towards their armory, located in the Ripley Center. "Go to the principal tower!"

The scene was chaotic, and Maiya was trying her best to keep everyone calm. She had already ordered Lillith and some others to put out the fire.

"Anyone who is not willing to fight, take shelter! Everyone else pick up a weapon and get to a defense tower!" Maiya shouted over the noise, passing out guns to the line of people who gathered outside the armory.