[서른아홉] Shelter |Epilogue|

"You were in trouble. You were trapped. Glenn didn't know you, but he helped you. He put himself in danger for you. And that started it all. From Atlanta, to my daddy's farm, to the prison, to here, to this moment now. Not as strangers. As family. Because Glenn chose to be there for you that day a long time ago. That was the decision that changed everything.

It started with both of you, and it just grew. To all of us. To sacrifice for each other, to suffer and stand, to grieve, to give, to love, to live... To fight for each other."

~Maggie Greene-Rhee

"Hey. I'm sorry I haven't been here in a while. It's not that I didn't want to be- I-I," Glenn sighed, running his hand through his hair. "Was I really this awkward when we first met?"

"Yeah. I guess I still am if I can't even talk without stuttering," He chuckled. "It reminds me of when I first met you. I was left stuttering just from the sight of you."

"Well, since the last time I was here, I finally completed what I set out to do. I buried him. It was as hard as I imagined, going back there and seeing everything-" He cleared his throat. "I never thought I could do it. I wanted to give up halfway. But I buried each Savior's remains. At every outpost. It took all day and night to finish."

"The others wanted to help. Dwight especially. But I told him it was me who needed to do it." Glenn paused, lowering his head shamefully. "I still can't forgive Negan for what he did to you... I think it'll take the rest of my life. I guess that makes me a hypocrite. "

"Speaking of forgiveness... they left. Just like they said they would," Glenn sighed. "They were all I had known... They were some of the last people who have memories of you and-" He stopped, wiping his eyes as he thought of the list of names that ran through his head. "I know they were unable to cope- This place just caused them too much pain. It reminded them too much of what they lost."

"I thought about leaving too. Permanently. But you're here. Maiya's here. This was- This is where we made our home," Glenn murmured.

"And I plan to make it everyone's- anyone's home. Whoever steps through the gate will be welcomed. Sasha, Ezekiel, Carl, Dante, and Cindy all decided that they- we will give them shelter. Maiya and I already made the signs for each community: It was a long way forward to Alexandria, or whichever community. But it is in the people where we find shelter."

"That is what they want to do too. Michonne left for Georgia. Aaron and Eric departed north towards Canada. And Gabriel and Rosita went west. And Dwight and Sherry set out for Ohio. I plan to go with Tara and Cindy to rebuild Oceanside soon, so I'll be away for a while. But I'll be back. There's still so much I need to do. I've stopped wasting time on my tears," Glenn confessed softly.

"Though I wished they could have stayed, I know that wouldn't be possible. Or productive if we want to create a new world. I might never see them again... But I hold onto the hope that we will see each other again. Just like I hold onto the hope I'll see you again." Glenn placed his hand on the gravestone with a sad smile.

"Oh, before I forget to mention, Gabriel was able to fulfill one last duty as a priest. He married Sasha and Abraham," Glenn grinned as he reminisced about the wedding. "So that's another thing that recently happened."

"Do you like the new improvements? Carl thought the cemetery looked too empty, so Maiya suggested that it mirror the garden at The Castle. The trees and shrubs really do add beauty to it. Especially in the spring when the cherry blossoms bloom. That should be happening any day now." Glenn glanced around at the flora in anticipation. "Morgan is almost finished with the memorial. Two hands; one reaching out to help the other. Around the hands, are various weapons to show that we won't raise our hand until we've first extended it."