[서른여덟] Man of The World

"May my mercy prevail over my wrath."

~ Rick Grimes

Sobbing loudly, Maiya frantically ran up the stairs to the second floor. Several times, she stumbled over her own feet as her tears blurred her vision, forcing her to grab onto the railing to pull herself up.

Upon reaching her room, she practically kicked the door down in a frenzy. She knocked over and pushed anything that was in her path, sending objects flying across the room.

She was after one thing and one thing only.

Desk drawers were forced open and thrown to the ground; valuable papers and tokens littered the ground like trash in search of the one thing that could fix this.

When her fingers felt the plastic hidden deep within one of the drawers, she gave a gasp of relief. Flicking it on, she examined the flame elatedly whilst holding onto the lighter tenderly.

"Don't," A sudden voice warned from the doorway.

"It'll be quick- If that's what you're worried about." Maiya never took her eyes off the flame in front of her. "I know there's a chemical in the lab that'll make it instant," She laughed unexpectedly. "If there's one thing I know about chemicals and science, of course it would be that."

"It doesn't have to be this way. Listen, Maiya," Glenn attempted to reason with her, but she would have none of it.

"We'll all die together. A quick and painless death. Wherever we go, we'll go together. We'll leave this world together." She grabbed her brother's hand tightly. "Isn't that what you wanted? For me to finally put family first?"

Glenn opened his mouth to protest, but before he could even utter a sound Maiya shoved him and ran out the door.

However, Glenn managed to grab her ankle and pull her down with him. She hit the floor roughly; never losing hold of her precious lighter. Managing to wriggle out of her brother's weak hold, she was back up and out of sight rather quickly.

Glenn scrambled to his feet and chased after her desperately, throwing himself at her at one point. They tumbled down the stairs with Glenn wrestling with his sister to grab the lighter, but their fight was interrupted when they hit the nearby wall. Thus, preventing the siblings from falling down any further and seriously injuring themselves.

"No one else has to die!" Glenn grabbed his sister's wrist. "We can still make this work!"

"Hypocrite!!" Maiya hit him with her free hand. "You're just as guilty as I am!" She stood up fiercely, gazing down at her pathetic excuse of a brother.

"I know..." Glenn groaned, sighing deeply in pain as he slowly rose to his feet.

"You think that's what I want?" She looked at him incredulously. "No... Our mistakes- Our crimes deserve to be burned and forgotten." Her voice dropped to a whisper.

"We have no place in this future."

A single gunshot rang out over the raging wind and thunder just as she finished her sentence. Glenn's hand reacted before his mind, slowly reaching out as her body went stiff and fell backwards. His hand had only brushed up against her waist, grasping onto the sickle that she carried.

"M-Maiya?" Glenn's voice cracked, holding the sickle limply. "M-Maiya?" He took a few steps down, seeing his sister's body lying against a railing.

"I'm sorry it had to be this way." Carl came out from the darkness, aiming his gun at Glenn. "But you both deserve to die," He said unsympathetically.

~

Rick shifted his eyes to the side, glaring at the handcuffs that chained his hand. He shook it harshly, unsuccessful in his attempt to free himself.