[서른둘] Nocturna

"We're all infected. We all carry it."

~Dr. Jenner

The early morning sounds of nature contrasted with the tense confrontation that was taking place in front of The Castle.

From the outside of the gate, stood Rick, Carl, Ezekiel, and Sasha; carefully examining the structure in front of them.

The guards already had their weapons pointed down at them, but had been instructed not to attack on behalf of their leader, who was striding through the garden towards the gate.

Maiya narrowed her eyes at the sight of these people. She was distrustful about why they were here, but she was not fearful. She knew if something went wrong they would instantly be shot.

"Are you here to visit Jeffrey?" She called out, coming to stop at the edge of the gate.

"Nope. We're here to see you actually," Rick answered with a tense grin.

"Me? What for?" Maiya raised her eyebrow.

"We want to know if that deal is still on the table. We want to work out a trade," Rick gestured towards the guards. "We don't have any weapons."

"I believe that, but you'll still be searched. But tell me, Rick, are your people waiting nearby in case?" Maiya questioned.

"...They are. We've encountered traps before," Rick took a few steps closer to the gate. "But neither of us want another fight. That's why we just want to talk."

"You're fully aware of what we do here, and you want to talk? I think you can see why I'm skeptical," Maiya argued.

"I hate what you did to Jesus. I was firmly against this idea. But for my people, I need this to work out," Sasha stepped forward.

"We do not have to be friends. We do not even have to like each other. But we are all in the same vessel," Ezekiel mentioned.

Maiya nodded, listening to all of this. "Okay. I will hear what you have to say. Guards," She motioned for them to come down as she went to open the gate.

The four of them stepped into the garden, only to be met by guards who immediately started searching them. It was no sooner that once the guards started frisking them that the gate was shut again. There would be no means of escape. At least not easily.

Once they were cleared of hiding anything, Maiya appeared alongside her brother.

"Follow me to the Schemer Hall. This is where most of our meetings and briefings take place," Maiya motioned.

"This place is truly deserving of its name!" Ezekiel complimented.

"Yeah, this is where you should be," Sasha stated bitterly.

"I'm surprised you didn't bring any weapons," Glenn whispered to Rick.

"I wanted to. But they would be taken away anyway," He whispered back.

"Yeah. I just hope for you and everyone's else's sake you don't try anything..." Glenn sighed.

"It depends on your sister."

"No, it doesn't, Rick!" Glenn's voice rose, causing everyone to turn back and look at him.

"Glenn, this is as far as you go. I'll be fine from here," Maiya advised.

"I'll wait outside the door then." Glenn stood back as Maiya opened the door.

"To make this fair, the boy waits outside too," Maiya affirmed. "We don't want the scales to be too unbalanced, do we?"