Chapter 11

Chapter 11- Rescues and Resuscitation

" Save all the people you're supposed to save."

I gasped, my hand flying up to cover my mouth. " Becca? Bex!" I grabbed hold of her and she held me in her arms, clutching me as I sobbed. " I thought you was dead, I thought you all were dead."

" Not me Lexi." She laughed weakly, her arms tightening around me. "I'm invincible, remember?"

I laughed with her before covering my mouth with my hands. It all seemed so unreal. My best friend, my partner in crime, my sister was actually here.

She was actually alive.

I was told that she was. Taylor told me. Tyler told me. Brooke told me. Cole told me. But it never seemed real, like she was never alive. But just seeing her now, being able to touch her.

It was surreal.

A complete fantasy.

I had my sister back.

A shrill of pain broke our reunion. Brooke sprinted forward from behind me, staring off to the sight before me. Taylor jogged forward, holding a small, bleeding corpse in his crimson red hands. Running up to us, he placed the unfamiliar person on the concrete and from the desperate sobs coming from Brooke, I soon realised who it was.

Evan.

The corpse before me was a teenager.

The corpse before me was Brooke's little brother.

I dropped to my knees next to him, lacing my fingers together I put my fingers over his heart and began pushing down.

One, two, three, four, five

Brooke's sobs were all I could hear, I tried to block them out but it proved almost impossible.

Twenty-six, twenty-seven, twenty-eight, twenty- nine, thirty.

I placed my mouth over his and blew in two large breaths. I started the process again, my movements rushed and desperate.

" Come on, come on!" I sobbed, trying to push down harder. "Wake up Evan, wake up."

Twenty-one, twenty-two, twenty-three.

" No no no no no, we said we'd get you out. We're going to leave this place with you here Evan. Wake up kid."

Twenty-four, twenty five, twen-

Heavy panting came from the boys corpse, his eyelids fluttering in time with his breathing. His breaths were heavy yet shallow, his chest moved up and down with his heart. Brooke sat down beside me and placed his hand over his brothers body, shaking the half- conscious teenager.

" Evan? Evan?"

The corpse suddenly leaned up, coughing harshly, and spluttering for breath. He gripped onto my tender arms toughly and tried to slow his heart rate. His eyes opened and he stared into mine for a second before closing his eyes, just to open them again.