Chapter 13

Evan in the media box

Chapter 13- Meaning and Moving

" Some people are just born with tragedy in their blood." 

I smiled at Becca as she put the last of our bags in her old car. I had said goodbye to all of the gang and I had just three people left. Tay, Sawyer and Brooke.

I walked up to Tay and my heart swelled at his broken expression. I abhorred having to leave him but I knew it was for the best.

" Lexi you don't have to go." His eyes looked deep into mine and I could feel him internally begging me to stay.

" I have to Tay. I don't belong here. I need to go somewhere where I can make peace with my past." I replied, letting out a shaky breath.

"You can make peace with your demons, and all the chaos in your heart will settle. I promise you. But come back, I'll be here to welcome you home. Please Lexi, don't leave me again."

" This is not my home, Tay."

" Yes it is Lexi. This is our city. This is our home." He insisted, gesturing to all the houses around us.

" Home is not where you are from, it is where you belong. Some of us have to travel the whole world to find it. Others, find it in a person. And one thing I know for certain is that I don't belong here. I haven't found my home yet, and I want to. "

" Please Lexi. This place, it won't always be bad. It won't always be a war zone. I've known you for nearly all my life Lexi, please don't leave."

" I've known you since we were children Tay, and we were thrust into war at such a young age and now it's ended, I don't know what we'll become. This is our lives and it shouldn't be. We're children and we're being expected to run a town built on death and pain. I can't stay here Tay. I can't." My voice broke. " Please understand Tay, please." I whispered.

" Then I'll come with you. Lexi, I can't lose you both again. " He cried, looking over to Bex.

I shook my head, " I won't let you come with us Tay. You belong here, with Brooke. This place is where you belong but it's not where I do. You'll always be my brother, just like Astrid will always be my sister. We'll stay in contact, I promise you. " I pleaded with him too see sense, I placed my hand over his heart.

" Brother and sister." He placed his hand over mine and looked into my eyes.

" Family." Our moment was broken by a door opening, I turned slightly to see Brooke stood there staring at Bex and the car. I glanced at Tay and he nodded his head in understanding, I gave him a small smile and walked over to Brooke.

" Hey." I started but froze at his daunting expression.

" You don't have to leave. Just because you killed your brother, doesn't mean you're a bad person. You should know that."

I chuckled. " Brooke, I was created to strip lungs of their breath, to destroy pretty little things and burn them to the ground, to bring the world to its knees and hear my name spoken only in fearful whispers. I was made to be a monster. So that it what I am, regardless of whether I killed my brother or not."

"You're not a monster. There's good in you. I've always seen it." I laughed slightly.

" I'm far from innocent though. " I smiled. "After all, loving any of us is a death sentence isn't it?"

He chuckled.

" Thank you for everything Brooke. It was fun while it lasted." I turned to walk away, trying to control my emotions. He grabbed my hand and swirled me back around.

" We were always going to say goodbye, weren't we?" He said, a sad smile playing on his lips.

" Yeah, I think so."

" I think liked you though. I...I liked you so much."

We paused.

" I know. I liked you too." My voice cracked as I avoided looking at him.

" Maybe we'll meet again, when we're slightly older and our minds less hectic, and I'll be right for you and you'll be right for me." He continued, as I was looking into his kind eyes and wishing for another life.

" Maybe." I wrapped my hands around his body and whispered into his ear. " It was fun while it lasted Brooke. Thank you."

I smiled at him one last time before turning to the boys.

Sawyer came up to me first. " You better keep in contact with us, Sis."

I laughed. " Always." He picked me up carefully and spun my around like I weighed nothing. I smiled as I kept my arms wrapped tightly around his neck.

Jacoby and Jude hugged me next and I laughed as Jude pinched my cheek softly.

" I'm gonna miss you, Boss." Jake remarked jokingly.

" I'll probably be back soon. I've never been able to stay away from this place for long anyway." I point out, leaning into Judes arms.

" We'll see you soon then Lex." I nodded before moving around to see Maya.

Maya looked at me sadly, a small smile forced it's way onto her face. " Do you have to go, Alex? I don't wanna be the only women here."

" I have to Mae. It's the only choice I've got." I open my arms and she doesn't fail to go into them. She hides her face in the crook of my neck, I smile as the familiar scent of perfume tickles my nose.

I'm going to miss them.

I move my lips closer to her ear. "You're a women, use it, bring every man you meet to his motherf*cking knees. But always remember, calamus gladio fortior."

She pulled herself out of my grasp. "What does that mean?"

I shook my head and placed a finger on her nose. " That's for me to know. Goodbye, sister."

" Goodbye Alex."

I jogged over to Becca and turned to see all the men hollering loudly outside the house.

" Ave atque vale (Hail and farewell.)" I held my knife up and saluted to the men who had made my life so much more interesting. I climbed into Bex's car and we sat there looking at each other. I thought back to what I said to Maya.

Calamus gladio fortior.

The pen is mightier than the sword.

The thought fought it's way out of my head as I turned to my beaming sister.

" Ab hinc ( From here on.)" She started, turning on the car engine.

I continued. " Per aspera ad astra. (Through hardships to the stars)"

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

" It takes a monster to destroy a monster."

I strolled into the basement, my heels clicking against the hard concrete. I bent down and smiled as a loud groan echoed into my ear. The harsh aroma of rot and fresh blood angrily crept into my welcoming nose. I smirked and dug my sharp nails into his purple, frail skin.

" Hello big brother."

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

Cliffhanger...........

Please vote and comment! I can't wait to update the next chapters!

As always, thank you for reading!!1