Eight

Holy crap I'm writing this really fast >_<

Our parents were the last people who had to get out, and I slammed the door shut behind them

"You made a big mistake, Witch Boy!" Cassie warned. She shrugged off her sweater to reveal that she had her Wonder Girl uniform on underneath.

"Oh goodie! Wonder Brat! Shoulda known you wouldn't be too far behind your boss!" Klarion cackled as the Gigantes statues cracked their necks, stretching their limbs after millennia frozen as statues.  On their forehead glowed bright red symbols, matching the magic mana Klarion controlled. All around him floated tiny red symbols, matching the ones on the Gigantes.

"Where are your sidekick friends? They always show up and ruin my fun!" Klarion floated down closer to confront Cassie, stroking his cat his arms.

"We're not sidekicks! And I don't need 'em to pound you to pulp!" With a war cry Cassie leaped into the air, swinging her fists up to smack the smug look off Klarion's face. He zipped out of the way, and the momentum of her swing sent Cass- Wonder Girl- tumbling into the row of chairs.

"Maybe you do need their help," Klarion sniggered like some schoolyard bully, hiding his grin behind his mouth so the teacher wouldn't notice. I'd seen it too many times before.

"She's got help, jerk," I said suddenly, my right hand glowing warm.

Really Kiran? "Jerk"?? That's the best you could come up with?

I decided to put the name-calling on hold as the Gigantes circled up beneath Klarion, in a circle around Cassie.

I wobbled in the air as I tried to hover, threateningly gathering a ball of light around my hand.

"Let my friend go!" I demanded. 

A Gigante swung out a huge limestone arm, knocking me out of the air. I released the light on impact and it bounced off the polished ceiling tiles and inches away from Klarion, who disappeared and reappeared seconds later, a few paces away from the smoking impact crater and his stupid cat still lounging on his shoulders.

"New girl, huh? Let's see what chaos we can have with you."

He waved his arm, as if throwing a baseball in my direction, and a Gigante ran at me with a loud roar that shook the building. I forced myself into flight once again and darted between his lags, grabbing a half-conscious Cassie and pulling her out of harm's way before another gigante- one made of obsidian, could pound her head to pulp.

"Thanks, I owe you one," Cassie mumbled, rubbing her forehead.

"Don't thank me yet," I bit my lip and looked back down to assess the situation. Cassie floated on her own, but now we were both a little wobbly. On the floor next to the podium, Wonder Woman was still knocked out.

"I signaled the team, but they're gonna have to gather some members that are supposed to be more secret, so it's gonna be a while."

"If we're lucky, we'll be done before they get here," I told Cassie much too optimistically. 

If we're lucky.

The statues that were supposed to be Cassie's mom's biggest find had just turned into some mindless monsters under the control of some chaos magician. Luck was not on our side.

 "Okay, let's try this. You blind them, and I'll punch them down and trip them, sound good?"

I shrugged. Honestly, I was good with not having to get too close to the big poundy giants. "Sounds good."

Cassie grinned and cracked her knuckles, post-knockout headache gone. She dove down to the first Gigante, giving me a thumbs-up.

Their eyes were hollow when we came in this morning, but after Klarion zapped them with his magic, they grew magical red glowing orbs. I aimed, looking right into those eyes, and almost felt like I was filled  with hopelessness, emptiness. And somehow, somewhere, I could hear a baby crying.

"Kiran, now!" Cassie cried urgently.

"Right, right," I shook my head and prepped a blast, wondering if Klarion had warded his new creatures from other types of magic, like mine. Actually, I wasn't sure if my light was one hundred percent magic, but the tattoo on my right arm sure didn't feel magical.

I released the blast right into those spooky dark eyes, and the Gigante screamed. The red symbol on its forehead evaporated, and it froze on the spot.

"No! Nonononono!" Klarion stomped and threw a temper tantrum while Cassie, the Gigantes, and I stared at the monster-turned-ordinary statue again.

"Of course!" Cassie slapped her forehead. "Klarion's chaos magic is dark magic! It gets chased away by the light!" 

"Got it!" I shot another blast at the eyes of another Gigante, and it too froze.

Klarion and the other Gigantes recovered, and ran at me and Cassie. But we floated up out of reach as I leisurely tossed balls of light at the Gigantes. One by one, they turned back into ordinary stone statues.

Klarion and his precious kitty too were the last ones left.

"Not so smug now, are you?" Cassie asked with a grin.

Klarion screamed in frustration, nearly blowing out my eardrums.

"I get you Wonder Brat, and your little light friend too!" His cat meowed, and suddenly, he started to grin. "Chaos is coming, and it won't end well for you and your little friends."

He waved his hand, and a red portal appeared at his side. "See ya later armadillos!" He hopped through, and the portal shut behind him.

It took a moment for that to sink it. One second, Cassie and I were standing on the floor of the hall, breathing heavily and taking in the damage of a dozen or so necro-animated Gigantes, and the next Cassie was squeezing me in an Amazonian-strength bear hug.

"I am so proud of you!" She squealed, lifting me up off the floor. "You just fought your first villain! A big one! A grade-A villain! And you won!"

"Well yeah," I flew out of her grip, catching my breath under her apologetic look. "But I couldn't have done it without you."

"But still it's awesome!" Cassie geeked.

I smiled at her.

"Yeah, it really was, wasn't it?"

I held out my arms to her and we both hugged it out.

"I just defeated a supervillain," I was smiling as brightly as my powers now.

"You just defeated a supervillain." Cassie nodded in confirmation, unable to restrain herself from jumping up and down.

"Please don't tell me you're going to fangirl over me like you do with Wonder Woman," I begged. Still, if we were best friends, we were already each other's biggest fans.

"You're hanging with Wonder Girl now, Kiran. Dignity's got nothing to do with it." Cassie informed me bluntly. She stopped her freak-out and tapped her bottom lip. "Say, you still need a hero name. What should I called you?"

"Um, well..." I let bits of light dance off my fingertips, trying to think of things that had to do with light. There was the star and the moon, but those two weren't very bright. There was the sun, but that was kind of a boring name on its own.

Then I remembered the summer solstice, just a few weeks ago, marking the beginning of summer and brighter days.

"How about-"

"Wonder Girl, are you alright?"

Then entered the cavalry, lead by one of the hottest guys I'd ever met.

SORRY THAT ENDING SOUNDS REALLY BAD BUT THE REST OF THIS CHAPTER CAME OUT SO FAST AND THAT WAS THE ONLY WAY I COULD THINK TO END IT SO I MAY EDIT IT LATER XP