Thirteen

TUMBLR HAS MORE KIRAN ART THAN I THOUGHT THIS IS AMAZING

I had bruises in places I didn't know I could get bruises. They definitely didn't mess around in the League.

"Let me guess, they're kicking me out." I held an ice pack to my forehead and black eye.

"No!" Cassie insisted. "y-you're still learning! Not even Nightwing was as good as you were on his first time!"

"You did your best, but you can still do better," Tigress held out her hand. "You did manage to land one hit on me."

"I fell down from exhaustion and my arm just so happened to hit your leg as you kicked out," I reminded her.

"Well, yeah, but-" Artemis sighed, and she and Cassie winced at each other. "Yeah."

I groaned, hiding my face behind my hands. I would have been doused in complete blackness, if it wasn't for the stupid glow of the stupid tattoo.

For a split second, I thought "why keep trying? You'll never be a hero anyway." And then I remembered what mum used to say to me.

"Stay positive, Kira," She'd lift my chin a little higher, "you think your father and I got this far by giving up? No, keep going, Kiran. You are a strong, smart young woman. You will make it, you will." 

My parents may have kicked me out, but the lessons they'd taught me still meant something.

And maybe they didn't love me anymore, but that didn't mean I didn't love them.

I forced myself to sit up, pushing my arms through some yoga stretches. They cried out in pain, but it quickly dulled with the stretching. 

"Want to go another round?" Artemis asked me sitting up hopefully, "I promise I'll go easy on you."

I grinned at her for a second, and then it was a little too painful to smile. "Well, if you do that I'll never get any better."

She pulled me to my feet. "Well then, Kiran, you'd better brace yourself."

"Go Kiran, go!" Cassie cheered. I stepped up to the ring, and this time, I didn't hesitate to throw the first punch.

-------

I had only been training with them for a week, so I wasn't able to really tell if I had improved or not. I had learned a couple moves from Artemis, and I did end up demonstrating my powers for her, Black Canary, Aqualad, Batgirl, and various members of the League that Black Canary thought I could work with.

I was still staying in the borrowed room full of half-unpacked effects that felt strange and alien, and I hadn't left the Watchtower except for once, when Doctor Sandsmark took Cassie and me to my parent's house in DC to get the rest of my things while she was sure they were back in Pakistan, back at Mohnejo-Daro looking for their precious box.

After that, I didn't see much point in leaving going back earthside. The Watchtower had a "Terran Room," filled with plants and a few creatures from Earth that I could wander, so I didn't feel the need to go outside. Aside from Earth, there were samples of species from dozens of other planets that the Leaguers came from, and even a pond about three feet deep filled with plants from Atlantis. I brought my notebook to the Terran Room and did my best to justly describe the beauty and harmony woven in the branches of a Kryptonian Wyrwood and an Earthling Maple tree.

I had just taken a hot shower after another sparring session with Artemis, and the pool looked so refreshing. Rolling up my capri pants, I discarded my shoes next to my notebook and pens on the grass and waded into the pool. I giggled as the tiny minnows ran at first, and then swam back to me, nibbling at my toes.