Twenty-Six

"Kiran, are you gay?" 

"Wait, what?"

"Gay. You know, well, I guess the more accurate question here would be are you lesbian?" Batgirl asked. 

"Um...I don't think so? I'm dating Kaldur, but before that I've never really had anyone interested in me- female or male- enough that I actually experimented with my sexuality or anything," I said, face bright red as I shoved my muffin in my mouth to keep myself from saying anything I'd regret.

Batgirl sighed, "Well, we're desperate, so we'll give it a shot."

"Batgirl, what is all this about?" I asked, running to keep up with her speedwalk towards the mission room.

"I'm helping Aqualad assemble a squad to infiltrate Bialya," She said nonchalantly, consulting her tablet.

"Bialya!?" I squeaked, "Bialya, as in, Queen Bee Bialya? That Bialya?"

"That Bialya," She nodded, stopping at a computer.

"Well, I'd say that's crazy, but we're on a semi-covert team of aliens and Atlanteans so I'll take this with a grain of salt," I placed my hands on my hips and blew a lock of hair out of my eyes.

"But seriously, what does that have to do with my sexuality?" I was kind of upset that she seemed so callous about this, but being Batman's apprentice did do some funny things to you.

"Queen Bee has the power to make men and women obey her command by manipulating pheromones and hormones to make them "fall in love" with her, depending on who they are attracted to. So whenever we send a squad to Bialya-"

"How often do you send a squad to Bialya?" I gulped nervously.

"More often than you'd think a Public group so dedicated to freedom as much as the Justice League is would bother with an autocratic nation under a dictatorship," She grimaced, "But whenever we do, we try to compose a squad of people who are not sexually attracted to women. Hawkwoman and Hawkman sometimes go if we're desperate because they're asexual, but they're more public figures than the team, so that's only been once or twice. Bart- Kid Flash- is newer, but he's gay, so we can use him. Karen is straight, and M'gann's only shown interest in men, so they'll be on the squad."

"What about you?" I asked, "what about Artemis?"

"Artemis is bisexual. And I've been questioning lately, so Batman said to stay on the safe side."  She shrugged.

But not with me? I wanted to snap.

"Okay. so the four of us?"

She sighed, "You're the only ones who won't apparently fall under her spell."

As if they'd heard us talking about them, Miss Martian, Bumblebee, and Kid Flash entered in full uniform.

"Well, I guess I'll go get changed."

"I'll have them fill you in on the bioship."

I changed in the privacy of my bedroom, where no one could see me fumbling nervously. I knew I was attracted to Kaldur. If I was certain of anything in my nose-diving life, I liked Kaldur, and he liked me. As in, like-like, however third-grade that sounded. But what if I was bisexual, like Cassie? Or pan? I didn't want to get paranoid for no reason when they were so short on team members for this squad. They needed all the help they could get if they were going to freaking Bialya.

Miss Martian already didn't trust me. I didn't want to give anyone else a chance to mistrust me, it was enough having to avoid my parents. I couldn't do this with the people whose base I'd moved into.