Seventeen

Thanks for 3K!!!

"If you wanted me-" I grunted as I stood up. My whole body ached like the world's worst sunburn.

"-then why kidnap all those people? Why not just come find me yourself?"

"Because you're magic!" Light shouted, half hiding behind his stupid black cape. I took a step back, running into his giant robot, which suddenly grabbed me in its giant robot fist.

"Magic users like you are tricky, they can throw any surprise at you and pull never see it coming. But if I could open you up, find out about you, find out what magic made you and turn it into science, then I could trick the tricksters!"

Batgirl was wrong. This man sounded beyond insane, and from the bored look on Tigress's face, she'd heard similar speeches from similar whackjobs.

"And as for my little prisoners, having an army of light and science wouldn't be so bad, don't you think? But alas, now I have to go through all the fun of capturing them again."

I glared at Light, trying not to shudder as he reached out to touch my face.

"Leave her alone!" Aqualad shouted, himself and Alpha squad held up similarly to myself by the clumsy solar-powered robots they'd been sent in to fight. Robin and Batgirl had also been discovered at Light's computers and were now also contained like the rest of our team.

"You keep your hands off her you creep or I'll kick you from here to Olympus!" Cassie threatened, wriggling to free herself from he robot's hold.

Light sighed theatrically. "I suppose your little hero friends will prove too much of a struggle to make good test subjects," he told me, turning to his robots. "Dispose of them!"

The first one aimed his highly concentrated beam of light at Aqualad, who quickly conjured a glowing blue shield with the one of his water bearers in reach, just in time to stall the laser, though from the intensity, we all knew it wouldn't last long.

"No!" I shouted. Planting the palm of my hand on one of the cracks in the armor of the robot's arm. I pushed more and more light inside it, readying it to burst.

Light laughed, his eyes fixed on Aqualad's suffering under the heat and intensity.

"And once more we witness science clearly debunking the myth of magic!" He declared with a sweep of his cape. What purpose did it serve anyway?

"Better think twice about that, Light!" I shouted. The robot holding me blew apart in a blinding explosion and I flew to Aqualad's side, adding my light- whether it was magic or science- to his Atlantean sorcery. Combined, we were somehow able to push back against the laser, turning it against the robot welding it, and causing a second explosion.

I grabbed Aqualad and pulled him away as his robot stumbled back against the one holding Cassie, which caused a whole domino effect which free the heroes and took out the robot's and Light's solar-powered generator, along with all the power in the warehouse, leaving us in the dark.

At least Aqualad and I both had tattoos that glowed in the dark.

I heard Tigress snicker. "You two look like a couple of glowsticks." She remarked.

I looked up at the icons on Aqualad's arms. The minimal amount of light generated from the two of us allowed each of us to just barely see each other's faces before we both looked away. I snuck a peek at his glowing biceps again, a bright blue that looked familiar, somehow, in the darkness of the warehouse.

"Hey Kir! Can you shed some light on the situation?" Wonder Girl asked.

"Oh yeah, right!" I lit up my fists, hoping no one could tell how pink my cheeks were in the bright light in my hands.