Hospital Flowers

This first chapter is inspired by Owl City's song Hospital flowers. Enjoy!

Kim Namjoon woke up to the sight of a tall male placing a cup full of colored daisies on a table across from where he was laying.

'Where am I?' he wondered shifting in the bed so he could sit up, feeling the blood rush to his legs followed by a sharp pain. He lifted the sheet and saw his right leg had a white cast on it, his body was covered by a light blue hospital gown. His left arm had a brace on it and an IV that he assumed was pumping morphine into his system. The male from across his way turned around and smiled walking over and grabbing a clipboard from the end of his bed and a pen. He sat down next to his bed, giving the pen a solid click.

"Ah, Mr. Kim how are you feeling?"

"Well sir I'm okay. Despite the fact that my arm and leg hurt badly and I currently have a needle in my arm pumping me full of drugs. What about you?"

The older man laughed and wrote something down on the clipboard.

"As expected you don't remember the incident. You seem to remember mostly everything else though. Tell me Mr. Kim what was the last thing you remember doing?"

"I had just finished my last year of military service and I was on my way home to see my mother and father. I'm guessing I got in a wreck."

"Very well Mr. Kim, you seem to be fine mentally. However physically you have a shattered leg. A sprained arm and a minor concussion. Nothing too serious however I'd be pretty greatful for those drugs we're pumping you full of. A shattered leg isn't anything that feels good." He said flipping through the pages causing the small sound of paper resisting the air to fill the silence in the room. "Says here you wrecked in Wonju and the man who hit you was nice enough to drive you to our clinic. We don't get very many patience and most of the nurses here are volunteers because of it. I hope that doesn't bother you."

Namjoon shook his head and sighed looking across the room at the pink and orange daisies in the small cup. "How long until I can leave?"

"A few days but I don't recommend driving with that leg for a while. Also the man that hit you wrote a statement here that says he wants to speak to you about insurance and the damage on your vehicles. In the meantime we'll take care of you. I'll let Jin know he's got a new patient to attend to. Try to get some rest Mr. Kim"

Namjoon dipped his head as he said bye to the doctor who bowed and left the room. Raking over what he had just said and worrying about all of it. He rested his arm on his thigh, placing his pointer and middle finger on either side of the bridge of his nose he sighed trying to relieve his building stress. That's when another man walked into his room with another clipboard, possibly the same one.

"Kim Namjoon, age 31, height 181cm, weight 67kg, and blood type A."

The man stopped reading and looked at Namjoon with a confused face, after a moment his eyes widened and a smile appeared across his soft features. "Rap Monster!" He said a little to surprised. Namjoon cringed at the old nickname before he tilted his head and studied the olders face.

"Jin!?"

He smiled and Jin nodded he egarly walked over to his old friend.

"It's great to see you! What have you been up to? Also..." He paused looking at Namjoons wrist and leg. "What happened to you?"

Namjoon chuckled at Jins questions and concern. "I was on my way home, I had just finished my two years of military service. I got in a pretty bad car crash, shattered my leg and sprained my arm. I guess I have a minor concussion too but I can't feel anything yet."

Jin placed a hand on Namjoons shoulder and gave slight squeeze while worry painted his face as if it was a the only emotion he had to give.

"Joon, I'm so sorry."

"Don't worry about it hyung, I'll live. What about you? What are you doing in a clinic in Wonju?"

The older removed his hand nodded trying to remember exactly what he was here for. "I volunteer here every now and again. I know a lot of the people here because we've been filming a movie here and the citizens like to help when we need it. I'm kinda popular and this is my way of giving back to the community here."

"So you are in the acting business. That's great Jin it really fits you, I still make music but because I've been serving I haven't had a lot of time to produce anything. I'd love to see one of the films you star in"

"It should be in theaters this coming winter you'll have to look out for it. I'll make sure to get you a ticket for the first showing."

"Ah hyung there's no need for that."

"Nonsense Namjoon it would be my pleasure."

The two sat there staring at each other for a few minutes before Jin glanced to the basket sitting next to Namjoons bed and quickly grabbed it, remembering what he had originally walked into his room for. "I need to take your vitals so if you don't mind go ahead and give me your arm and I'll take your blood pressure" Namjoon nodded and held his arm out, watching Jin wrap the instrument around it. "Take deep breaths for me and let me know if it gets to tight ok?" Jin began pumping the air into the machine after receiving a nod from Namjoon.

"So hyung do you have a girlfriend?"

Jin shook his head as he released the air out of the machine and wrote down the numbers on the clipboard before flipping to another page and handing Namjoon a thermometer to put in his mouth.

"Why not?" Namjoon asked before placing the thermometer under his tongue.

"Never had any use for one I guess, I'm always busy with work and I can cook for myself. If I had one I wouldn't know what to do with her to be honest." The thermometer beeped and he took it from Namjoons mouth and wrote down the numbers wiping the end off and placing the thermometer back in the bin. "Okay and now rate your pain from one to ten. Ten being the worst one being the almost no pain."

"I'm pretty numb so about a three I guess."

Jin wrote a number and got up flipping the pages back to the front of the clipboard. He was about to leave before he saw Namjoon looking at the daisies across from his bed.

"You like them? I grow them outside the clinic and give them to the patients."

Namjoon looked back at Jin and smiled nodding, he had lived with the man for over seven years and looking at him now after about five years of being apart he barely recognised him. It excited him and made him extremely nervous.

"Try to rest ok. I'll see you tomorrow Namjoon." Was all he said before leaving the room.