Chapter 3

“Slow down, Honeypaw.  Explain,” Firestar, the ThunderClan leader, hurried down from his den on Highledge.

Honeypaw took a deep breath.  “Ashfur led the patrol to the ShadowClan border.  We saw a few warriors in our territory, so Sandstorm and I went to go see what they were doing.”  She paused for a few heartbeats, and then blurted out, “They’re stealing our prey, Firestar!  We have to hurry to stop them.  They are fighting right now.”

As soon as she finished, Firestar began ordering the battle patrol.  “Brambleclaw, Cloudtail, Sorreltail, Graystripe!”  Firestar gathered his warriors and headed for the thorn tunnel.  He turned around to face Leafsong.  “You come, too.”

Leafsong bounded after the patrol, heart racing, claws ready for battle.  How dare ShadowClan steal her prey!  It was already a hard leaf-fall for them, and she supposed it was the same way in ShadowClan.  Leafsong shook her head.  My Clan must be first!  She scolded herself.

As they neared the battle, Leafsong could hear the screeching of cats and smell fresh blood.  At Firestar’s battle cry, the patrol split up and took on an opponent.  Leafsong faced a pure white she-cat.  Snowbird.  She slashed at Snowbird’s muzzle, getting her off balance, and jumped on her back, digging her claws in and biting Snowbird’s neck, hard, but not hard enough to kill her.  Snowbird yowled with pain and managed to get out of Leafsong’s grip.  She fled from Leafsong, realizing her opponent is too strong for her.

Leafsong searched the battle for another cat to brawl with.  Birchfall was fighting with Oakfur, a small brown tom, with blood staining his light-brown fur.  Brambleclaw, the ThunderClan deputy, fought two cats, Rowanclaw and Ivypaw.  He pinned Rowanclaw to the ground and battered Ivypaw with his hind paws until she fled.

As Leafsong was studying the battle, someone tackled her, pinning her to the ground with their paws on her chest, the claws digging in.  Leafsong stared in surprise.  Tawnypelt!  Her best friend was staring at her, the light of battle in her eyes.  Tawnypelt’s gaze softened, but not her grip.  “I’m sorry, Leafsong, but Clan first.”

Leafsong gasped as Tawnypelt slashed her cheek.  Leafsong used all her might to kick Tawnypelt off.  “How could you do that?” Leafsong panted, her eyes burning with anger.  “I bet you wouldn’t have done that to Brambleclaw.”

Tawnypelt became angrier, her claws digging in deep into the hardened soil.  “Don’t you dare talk about my brother like that!”  She sprang onto Leafsong’s back, her weight bringing Leafsong down.  She yowled as Tawnypelt sank her claws into her shoulders.  Tawnypelt bent her head to bite Leafsong’s neck, but froze with her sharp teeth barely on her pelt when Rowanclaw yowled, “ShadowClan, retreat!”

As the ShadowClan cats went back to their territory, Tawnypelt whispered aggressively in Leafsong’s ear, “You should be grateful for Rowanclaw calling us to retreat right now, but next time, you’re going to get it.”

Leafsong winced as Tawnypelt took her claws abruptly out of her shoulders.  She watched the fleeing ShadowClan cats run into the pine trees that they call home.  Tawnypelt glanced back at her, eyes narrowed in hatred.  Was this really the end of their friendship?

~*~*~*~*~*~

Well, I think this is going to be all that I do today. Maybe some more tonight? I don't really have access to the computer during the weekdays because of my mousehearted annoying brother playing Minecraft the whole time instead of doing his homework. So yeah.

What do you guys think of the story so far? Is it good? I probably wrote this throughout the school year in 6th grade AKA last year. Wow I improved my writing so much sence I started these. Yuay

Anyway, leave a comment on what you think, and maybe leave a vote while you're at it. It's much appreciated. Thanks, and have a great day!