Chapter 10

As Leafsong closed her eyes, Spottedleaf’s scent faded away, and aching and pain appeared all over her body.  When she opened her eyes, Stone and Lichen were still standing over Leafsong purring with amusement.  I must have been out for only a few heartbeats, she realized.

Stone sneered.  “What are you going to do know, Leafsong?  Fight, or give up?”

The last words echoed in Leafsong head.  With an effort, she pulled herself up and slashed both Lichen and Stone across their muzzles.  Aqua, Flint, and Pine, who were slowly coming back down to the floor, burst forward and charged towards Leafsong.  While Lichen and Stone were still unbalanced, she ran towards the other three cats, giving Aqua a hard blow on her cheek, Flint a nasty bite on his throat, and Pine a scratch on his belly.

Leafsong stood there, panting.

“Now,” she began.  “It’s either you stay and I kill you, or you leave and you live; your choice.”

Stone and Lichen slowly got up, warily.  “Alright, Leafsong, have your wish, but you’ll regret it.”

As Stone gathered his followers, Leafsong growled, “Regret?  Why would I regret this?  You caused enough trouble in the Clans, even when you were in one.  You deserve to die, but I’ll let you go.”

Stone paused in his tracks on the way to the gap.  He whipped his head around and faced Leafsong with a sneer.  “You are just too weak to kill your littermates and young cats.  You’re not even worthy to be the chosen warrior!”  With that, Stone and Lichen led the other rogues out of the hole, not looking back.

When Pine’s black tail-tip disappeared behind the barn wall, Leafsong sighed with relief and disappointment.  The Clans were safe, but she just forced her only littermates to leave the lake forever—she’ll never see them again.

She heard tiny claws scraping the stone floor behind her as a couple of fat mice ventured into the open.  Leafsong hurried and pounced on them, breaking both of their spines.  RiverClan can use some extra prey, now that the rogues are gone, she thought.  Carrying the fresh-kill by their tails, she padded through the opening and headed towards RiverClan territory.  Hopefully she’ll spot a patrol on the border.

When Leafsong reached the border, she crouched down in the reeds and waited for a patrol.  It was a few moments later when Mistyfoot, the RiverClan deputy, was patrolling the border with Blackclaw and Rippletail.  They were still skinny, clearly not catching anymore prey that they already were.  That will change, Leafsong mused.  RiverClan will survive and thrive now.

Leafsong slowly stepped out of the reeds so she wouldn’t startle the wary cats.  “Mistyfoot?”

Blackclaw hissed and jumped backwards when he saw Leafsong.  “What are you doing here?”  He rasped aggressively.  He saw the prey in her mouth.  Blackclaw gasped, “Prey stealer!”  He jumped on Leafsong and bit her tail, causing her to drop the mice to yowl with pain.

“Blackclaw, stop!” Mistyfoot dragged the warrior off of Leafsong.  “When did I say ‘attack’?”

The hostile warrior just flattened his ears and muttered something Leafsong didn’t hear.

Mistyfoot turned back to Leafsong.  “So, what are you doing here?”  The deputy repeated the question.

Leafsong picked up her mice and set it down in front of the gray she-cat.  “This is for your Clan,” she explained.  “Last night, I confronted the rogues in the barn who were stealing prey from you.  They left the lake.”

Mistyfoot blinked in surprise, her eyes wide.  “You took on all those rogues alone?”

Leafsong nodded.

Mistyfoot sniffed the fresh-kill and meowed, “Rippletail, take this fresh-kill back to the camp.  Blackclaw, go with him.”

Blackclaw opened his jaws to protest, but saw the hard glare his deputy was giving him and began to follow his fellow Clanmate.

“Thank you, Leafsong.  RiverClan will forever be in your debt.  It’s almost like you’re going to save the Clans, just like Firestar did!”  Mistyfoot turned and padded back to her camp.

Leafsong began to head back to ThunderClan territory when something rustled in the reeds beside her.  A tortoiseshell she-cat with stars on her fur halted next to her.  Unexpectedly, she rushed up to Leafsong and wrapped herself around her, the sweet scent of herbs swirling around Leafsong.

“I knew you could do it,” the soft voice of Spottedleaf spoke.  “You saved RiverClan, and you’ll do it again to all the Clans, someday.”

Leafsong wrapped her tail around the StarClan cat and whispered, “I couldn’t do it without you, Spottedleaf.”

The spirit’s figure disappeared, and Leafsong continued her journey to her territory along the shore of the lake.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Yaaay it's done. Wooo. Meh.

I have no clue when I'm going to post the 3rd book (BTW there's 4 books so far). Didn't I say in "Out of the Dark" that I was going to publish the beginning of this story a while after that one finished? More like 1 month or 2. So, honestly, don't expect the next book (called "The Betrayal") to be up anytime soon XD

Anyways, hope you enjoy this short story. Next book is longer, and then the 4th book is soooo long that I'm so happy that me and my hand did that :D I suppose you could leave a vote if you really liked "Way of the Stars," and maybe a comment on what you thought about it. Check out my other works. Most of them are Warrior Cats or based off of Warrior Cats (like there's still the Clans and everything but they're different with quickly made OC's in them), like "Flaying My Own Way" and "Fighting for Freedom." Another one is a new... format, I guess, of a short story. It's gonna have around 5 parts in it, my first one being "Me, or Her?" another Warrior Cats based story. I may also post some stuff about Minecraft if you like that, such as Merome, TheBajanCanadian, JeromeASF, MC Hunger Games, and all that gud stoofz.

Sorry for rambling I'm done now bai