Chapter 9

Leafsong gasped.  “Stoneclaw, Lichenheart!”

“It’s Stone and Lichen!”  The dark gray tom spat.  “We are not Clan cats, and you are not the chosen warrior!”

The rogues leapt for Leafsong and she swiftly jumped up in the air.  Unexpectedly, two of the cats, Flint and Aqua, jumped up with her and slashed at her in mid-air.  Leafsong yowled and spun around, flailing her unsheathed claws at the two young cats.  As she landed, the other rogues, Stone, Lichen, and Pine, all tackled her and scratched and bit Leafsong.  Leafsong yowled with pain.  She became limp and laid there, panting heavily, scratches and bite marks all over her bleeding.  The rogues stopped and watched the ginger she-cat lay there helplessly.

“Are you already giving up, great chosen warrior?” Stone mocked.

“Never!”  Leafsong put in all her strength to get up and climbed up the ladder to the platform as fast as she could.

“Get her!”  Stone commanded his followers to attack Leafsong.  Stone, Aqua, and Pine chased her up the ladder, and Lichen and Flint went up on some shelves above the gap that also led to the other side of the platform.  Leafsong went onto the wooden beam, panicking.  The rogues waited on either side of the plank, ready for her to come.  Mouse-brain! Leafsong scolded herself.  What was I thinking?

Lichen and Stone began to pad slowly along the beam, gradually coming closer to Leafsong.  She glanced frantically at them and gritted her teeth, thinking desperately for a plan.  Lichen and Stone became too close with their claws extended; Leafsong closed her eyes jumped off the beam and landed on the hard floor on her side.  When she opened them, everything was blurry.  Lichen and Stone was standing over her, purring with amusement.

“What kind of a chosen warrior would jump right off of a beam four fox-lengths high?” Lichen taunted.

The room was spinning, and Leafsong closed her eyes, her wounds bleeding even more, her body aching all over.

*****

Leafsong opened her eyes in a clearing in the forest, the leaves, ferns, and bushes green and the scent of prey all around her.  A dark tortoiseshell she-cat with stars in her fur appeared through the bracken.

“Spottedleaf!”  Leafsong breathed the ancient ThunderClan medicine cat’s name.  “What do you want from me?”

Spottedleaf dipped her head kindly.  “Greetings, Leafsong.  I see that you are trying to defeat the rogues, and that it’s not going well.”

Leafsong sank her head and flattened her ears.  “No, Spottedleaf.  I am failing RiverClan.  I am failing myself!  It’s just too hard with five cats.”

The medicine cat pricked her ears in surprise.  “Nonsense!  You are the chosen warrior, and StarClan didn’t name you that for no reason.  The chosen warrior is supposed to protect the Clans, keep them together, and get rid of all the dangers!”  Spottedleaf curled around Leafsong and cradled her like a kit.  Her sweet scent of herbs wreathed around Leafsong.  She whispered, “It seems like you forgot—StarClan is always with you, no matter what happens.”