xviii

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
M A D N E S S

FOR THE PAST FEW WEEKS, HER MIND HAD BEEN PLAYING TRICKS WITH HER

FOR THE PAST FEW WEEKS, HER MIND HAD BEEN PLAYING TRICKS WITH HER. Ever since she stepped out of the House of the Undying, she could no longer rely on her senses, as she felt deceived by them. The incidents in the tower, her mother, those strange beings, the Tournament...

Malfoy.

She stayed away from him; no one found her statement of his death credulous, they thought she'd gone mad. Malfoy had gone cold, not that she cared; he was supposed to be ashes from what she saw. It angered her no one believed her, a growing sensation ignited within, making her want to burn them all.

'What's wrong with me?'

She needed some time alone, so she walked through the fields of the castle to clear her mind.

"Watch it, sweetheart," she heard someone say, after accidentally nudging her shoulder.

"You watch it!" She frowned.

Diggory smiled, his smile as bright as the Sun of a Sunday afternoon.

"Little (Y/n) is getting mad... Has she got problems with the Second Task?"

"It is none of your business, Diggory."

She crossed her arms and watched him lean on the wall casually, making her roll her eyes.

"Say... If I gave you a clue, what would I get?" He asked, raising his eyebrows suggestively.

"A slap; maybe nothing if it's useful enough," she said. The girl turned around, ready to leave since she hadn't have time to waste on him.

"That's cold coming from someone that's hot," he smirked, earning a glare from her.

"As in temperature," he added quickly.

"What do you want?" She finally asked.

"Be my partner for the Yule Ball."

"No," she refused, ready to leave. A look of disappointment was visible on his face, yet she felt no sympathy for him whatsoever.

"Look... I know I haven't been the nicest person, but let me make it up for you... And think about it. Dragon Girl, Hufflepuff Sweetheart... The perfect combination, they'd love it."

She stayed silent, ready to walk away. Before she could, he grabbed her arm.

"Have you tried opening your egg?" He asked seriously, this time.

Looking at him confused, she shook her head, "no, mine is different. My egg can't be opened."

"I know fire is your thing, but you should try water too."