Chapter 9

"Are you okay, Scott?" I asked as we walked through the door. He sighed and turned to face me.

"Honestly, I don't know anymore. I have Jackson threatening you yet I have to protect him, and my girlfriend is telling people she can't trust me." He answered sadly.

"Listen, Scott. People may tell you this all the time; It gets better." I smile at him.

"Yeah...I know. I need to return her necklace to her so I better go, um, yeah."

"Alright, remember you have me." I placed my hand on his shoulder and smiled weakly at him. He smiled back and walked back out of the door. I sighed and went to my bedroom. I lay on my bed, just contemplating everything that's going on. It wasn't long before I started drifting off into a deep sleep.

~~~~~~~

I awoke a few hours later to hear a knock on Scott's door. "Ohh, son of a - Not now, mom. I said not now!" I heard the door open before I heard another voice.

"Sorry. Your mom let me in. Can we talk?" Allison. I heard the door close, so I'm guessing he wanted to talk with her. It was about ten minutes before one of them decided to speak.

"Do you want me to go first?" Scott asked.

"No." Allison answered bluntly.

"Okay. Do you want me to leave you alone for a few minutes?" I heard the hesitance in his voice.

"Why would I want that?

"I don't know. It's just that, um - you came in here and said that you wanted to talk, and we've been sitting here for like ten minutes - and you haven't said anything yet, and it's starting to freak me out." Scott answered truthfully.

"Sorry. It's a little hard to start. This is going to sound really ridiculous. Like, I - I guess I just - I don't want you to laugh at me."

"I would never laugh at you."

"It's about my family." Allison started.

"Okay."

"A little while ago, I caught them in a lie. A small one. When my aunt first arrived, she had car trouble, and - My dad said it was a flat tire, but she said she needed a jump start."

"Yeah, that was what I though too. And then I found glass on her car like - her window had been smashed in. I've been overhearing some really strange conversations. I think some of it has to do with Derek." I stopped listening when I heard a knock on my door. I lifted my lazy body of the bed and opened my door to reveal my beautiful mother.

"Hey momma." I said, smiling. She motioned me to follow her to Scott's room, so I did. She knocked and opened the door.

"Hey, Scott, I'm coming home late tonight - what? What - what's wrong? Is it - is it my hair, makeup?" Momma McCall said, feeling insecure.

"No. No, nothing. You look beautiful." Scott and I said in unison. Mom just smiled at us and blushed. Allison agreed with us and nodded her head.

"You look amazing." She said, smiling.

"Amazing. Why do you look amazing, mom?" I asked.

"Because, amazingly, I'm having dinner for once with a member of the male gender who's over the age of 16." I snorted at the end of her sentence.

"Who?" Scott asked, ignoring my laughter.

"Uh, it's a medical rep that came into the hospital, today. Yeah, we just kinda started talking, and the next thing I know, I'm saying yes to dinner and - I'm really hating myself for skipping the gym last week."