(8): "Out of The Blue"

The things in this chapter from this point on about the eye condition Heterochromia is all apart of the fictitious flow of the book. Heterochromia is a real condition however, the things that I may say about it in this book will not be real for the most part. You've been warned.

Ominous.

"What was that all about?" Nile asked as Santana uneasily made his way back to the table. He plastered a smile onto his face and scooted his chair up.

"Some small inconvenience. Nothing big. We'll talk about it later."

"Can't be too small if it came knocking at damn near 11:00 at night." Nile said as she searched Santana's eyes for more than what he was saying to her.

"I said we'll talk about it later, didn't I?" He squeezed through clenched teeth. Chills ran down the length of Nile's back, her spine erecting at his sternness.

She cleared her throat and nodded. "Right, right." He looked her dead in her eyes and blinked a few times. He glanced over at Baby, who wasn't really paying attention but rather talking a hole through Ro's head, and then looked at Nile.

"It's about Baby." He mouthed to Nile. Santana watched as Realization paralyzed her and suddenly she understood. She absentmindedly brought her fork of pasta to her lips and ate it, trying to pretend as though she were fine. The food was good to her but she couldn't really savor the taste because she felt bad news coming like an ongoing train.

The sauce in the pasta danced over her tastebuds as she took slow, concentrated munches, chewing delicately. She was careful not to piss herself off.

"Aight, I think we done here," Baby announced as he lifted his spotless plate. Ro stood as well, his plate equally spotless.

"Yeah, we done. That was good as hell, miss Nile. You be putting your foot in every dish you make."

"Thank you, baby. I try, I try." She smiled.

"You ready to finish getting ya ass handed to you on a silver platter in Madden?" Ro asked as the two disappeared up the stairs.

"Watch your mouth." Nile yelled after them.

"Sorry."

Nile waited until she saw bodies disappear and footsteps become inaudible. She turned to Santana, her Hazel eyes sipping in his tense posture.

"What's going on, Santana? I've never seen you like this. At least, not since that night." Santana stood and then began pacing, running his hands through his hair.

"They're searching for Baby again. There's a photo of Baby when he was an infant circulating. Birth name's included and an estimation of what his height and weight would be now. Ryder just put me on."

Nile stood as well, the realization that once plagued her replaced with fear.

"Does this mean that we have to relocate to Jamaica again?"

"I don't know, Nile. We just may have to. We just can't relocate for an entire year again. We don't own that sort of time. May have to disappear for the summer, though."

"Oh God, okay, okay, umm.." Nile began pacing. She hustled into the bedroom and began throwing all sorts of things into her suitcase. Clothes, shoes, jewelry, money, plastic eating utensils, everything. Her nerves were in such a rage that she hadn't noticed.