(10): "God'll Walk With Me"

Ominous.

Hezekiah swallowed the lump that decided to occupy his throat every since he'd seen that interview a few nights before. The entire thing had been on his mind since and he honestly thought about deading the situation but it wouldn't stop bothering him.

He took a deep breath and stepped up to the door of the rec center. From the outside he could hear commotion and pandemonium.

He raised his closed fist to the door for a moment to think of all the possible outcomes. Funny thing is, he had more than enough time to think of all the different variations of how the situation could spiral out and they were all bad but odd enough, he didn't care.

He brought his fist down and rapped on the door. For a moment there was silence and then it swung open. Hezekiah expected to be looking into the eyes of someone his own height but instead he got oxygen. He looked down, peering into little orbs.

For a moment, it seemed like all of the chaos that was going on around them slowed down. It was almost as if time froze.

Baby found himself staring into the eyes of a little girl that had his exact same eye condition. It literally shook him to the core. Before he could realize that he was oogling the little girl and that it was rude, a woman, the one he'd seen on television, stepped up behind her, grabbing her little shoulder and pulling her into her a bit.

"Yes? Can I help you?" The woman looked at Hezekiah, her mouth opened ajar. She looked down at the little girl and then back up at Hezekiah.

• • •

"I can't believe you aren't deceased. I knew you weren't deceased. All these years I've prayed and cried out to the lord and now you're here in front of me." Heather Williams wiped her tears away with a tissue and sniffled, her eyes puffy and red. Her eyes were a light shade of brown. So was Hezekiah's but they were only periodically that way. Most of the time, his eyes were in their heterochromia phase.

"Can.. can I have a hug?" She asked cautiously. Hezekiah obliged immediately and embraced his biological mother. He didn't even need paperwork or the law to tell him that he initially belonged to her. One could see that off rip. Especially considering his newfound little sister Hale Williams. Her eyes must have been the ones he'd seen in his dream not too long ago because they were just like his. Their uncanny resemblances to each other were extremely creepy but a good, comforting sort of creepy.

"I'm so happy that you're here... that you decided to come forward and present yourself to me. This is so exciting. I imagined that the process would have been way longer and way more emotional than this."

"It's definitely something." Hezekiah rubbed his hands together awkwardly and chuckled lightly. "I imagined this would all be way more dramatic." He quipped.

"Agreed." Heather chuckled in between her soft sobs of joy.

"It's nice to meet you, though. Both of you. I'm honored." Hezekiah said.

"I could say the exact same thing." Heather retaliated.

"It's so much lost time that I can never get back, though. I don't want things to be at all awkward and please trust me when I say that I don't want to intrude in any way with the family that's had you all these years." Heather said apologetically which was ironic because his 'family' had a lot of explaining and apologizing to do. Her mentioning them immediately drug him to reality, anger creeping under his finger nails like dirt after he scratches his head.