My Unrequited Love

Dear My URL,

I am actually from Quezon City in Metro Manila and I have lived my life there but my family or my father decided to move from QC to Cebu City. I was not happy when I heard about the news that we were moving. It was summer and I just graduated from highschool. I was being selfish because I am the type of person who is resistant to change and going in a new environment has a lot of adjustments and I hate adjustments! I would surely miss my friends. Our house. Our neighbors. The mall tours of my fave male celebrity crushes. I will miss a lot of things when we leave QC behind. The announcement came in the middle of April where the weather is so hot and scorching. It's summer in the Philippines that time or technically dry season. Philippines is a tropical country and we do not have four climates like the countries in temperate zones. I was not really happy knowing that in just a week or two we'll be moving in to a new city, new house, with new neighboorhood... everything is new. Ugh. I hated it. My father is a licensed Civil Engineer and he has a big project and that big project is the construction of a mall bigger than SM Mall of Asia. My father is part of the team and he had projects where he goes to different areas and he arrives home like after two weeks but this project is different because we have to move in to Cebu City where the mall is going to be constructed. I was hesitant. I laid all of my suggestions to my parents. I tried to convince them that I just have to stay in QC and that I can live alone in our house. I convinced them that I could live independently and I can handle myself because I am going to college. I already set everything for myself because it is college. I told them that they just have to send me money from Cebu City for my allowance and tuition and other expenses. I even told them that every semestral break, I am going to visit them. I tried to tell them that who else would take care of the house if we moved in and it would be nice if I would stay. But my father was very persistent and if he has decided a thing, it's done and no matter how I explain myself, the decision was firm. I actually cried and already told my bestfriends about the unfortunate news of me and my family moving in to another city for my father's project. Of course, they were also sad. We've already planned on what to do in college and it would surely be fun and great and amazing and of course there will be heartbreak but that is the least of my concern. I showed my indifference the day after I laid all of my explanations but it was all a waste. My face can't be drawn in a canvas when we left our house. My mother said that a caretaker would be in charge of the house because there will be times like summer or Christmas breaks when we have to go to QC again for short vacations. I was a bit happy. We are actually three siblings in the family and I have an older brother whose name is Eric who is three years older than me. He's studying Mechanical Engineering in Ateneo and was in junior year then. Meanwhile, my younger sister is seven years old and was grade one then. My mother is a housewife and she takes good care of us and my father makes a living for us but good thing that Eric has already graduated college, passed the licensure exam for ME and is now working at a car company, Suzuki. And my dad is still working for the project which is the SM Seaside Cebu. When we arrived here in Cebu three years ago, I was amazed at how beautiful Cebu City is. It was actually being tagged as the Queen City of the South and is situated in Central Philippines. Cebu City is rich for its culture and beaches. Aside from being it is the cradle of Christianity when Magellan gave the Sto. Niño, it has been also a top tourist destination especially for Koreans who chose to study and learn the English language. Days and weeks passed and I was getting used to the Cebuano lifestyle. It's better here than in Metro Manila. It's also very traffic here but it is manageable. Our house is big and spacious. Dad told us that he bought the house cuz it is better than renting one. The house has four rooms but me and Sheilla shares a room and the other one is a guest room. We were living in a middle class subdivision and the neighboorhood is very nice. It felt like home as well.

Love,

Kate Alcante