Dance of the Moons

Greetings to my fellow fans of reading and writing!

            I got a lot of positive comments while writing The Art of Mending Memories.  When I first started writing it I never imagined people would like it so much.  Inspired by all of you, I decided to write a sequel.

            But then I came across this problem: what would I write?  Kaelyn and Aaron’s story is over.  If I were to write a sequel, who would it be about?  The first thing I did was write a list of possibilities.  I thought about a prequel, but the idea didn’t really stick in my mind.  I wanted something fresh, but I also wanted to keep the characters.  Then I had to figure out the plot.  This took me a while, only because I kept changing my minds on the details.  Lastly, a title.  Nothing seemed to fit, but eventually I decided on Dance of the Moons.  I still feel iffy about it.

            Now I write.  I don’t know how this story is going to turn out, or how it will compare with AMM.  I hope you all like it. 

Thanks for sticking with me.

Chapter 1

“It’s so beautiful today,” Kaelyn said with a smile and a dreamy look outside the café windows.  Her hand moved a damp cloth in circles, cleaning the countertop. “I can’t believe I’m stuck inside with you.”

“Oh, please,” I replied in a light tone, “you just want to be free to see your mutt boy.”

She smiled, her aura staying in its content state, despite my jibe.  It was always content these days.  Kaelyn was used to my poking fun at her relationship with Aaron.  I had been doing so for months.

“He might drop by,” she added casually.

I rolled my eyes and muttered “He always drops by.”

On cue, two men walked into the café, both werewolves.  The first one was Aaron, Kaelyn’s boyfriend.  The second was another pack member, one of the few Shifter regulars at the café.

The pack had moved in seven months ago.  At the time, Kaelyn had shared our fear of the werewolves.  Something happened, however, that helped her come to peace with them.  She and Aaron were a couple ever since.

Kaelyn leaned over the counter she had just cleaned and met Aaron’s lips with a quick greeting kiss.  Aaron turned and nodded at me. “Hello, Leila.”

“Hello,” I replied coolly and politely.

Kaelyn frowned but said nothing about our distance.  Aaron and I got along well, all things considered.  Witches and Shifters were not known for getting along well with each other.  There was too much bad history between them.  They were on opposite sides of the spectrum, one could say.

I turned my attention to the second werewolf.  He was one of the few Shifters who ever entered the café.  I knew, from what Kaelyn had told me, his name was David, and he was a year older than Aaron.  His dad died right before the pack moved.

He inclined his head to me in a silent greeting, his brown eyes never leaving mine.  The air around him shimmered, as it often did when I saw him in the shop.  It made him difficult to read, as I did not know the reason for his shimmering aura.